Piping Connections
PRETTY IN PINK

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Piping Connections
PRETTY IN PINK
Piping Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» PINK AGAIN!!
have the top pipebands lost their individuality? EmptyTue 12 Jan - 17:37:19 by Gordy88

» 2010 Happ New Year All!!!!
have the top pipebands lost their individuality? EmptyThu 7 Jan - 0:05:24 by Chiddy

» Please Read!!
have the top pipebands lost their individuality? EmptySun 9 Aug - 14:05:38 by True_Blue_Piper

» draw for cowal
have the top pipebands lost their individuality? EmptySun 9 Aug - 13:46:20 by shortstuff

» Two days early. lol
have the top pipebands lost their individuality? EmptySun 9 Aug - 13:08:03 by Dai Robb

» MG drone reeds
have the top pipebands lost their individuality? EmptySun 9 Aug - 2:02:22 by True_Blue_Piper

» Bag worth a try!!
have the top pipebands lost their individuality? EmptySat 8 Aug - 18:16:26 by Werepiper

» Countdown Counter
have the top pipebands lost their individuality? EmptyWed 29 Jul - 14:50:42 by Heilan Mary

» RSPBA exams
have the top pipebands lost their individuality? EmptyTue 28 Jul - 16:55:42 by Gordy88

» Wallace Bagpipes, Piping on the Clyde III
have the top pipebands lost their individuality? EmptyMon 27 Jul - 10:13:32 by Redneck

Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Keywords

have the top pipebands lost their individuality?

+2
Gordy88
Robbie.Crow
6 posters

Go down

have the top pipebands lost their individuality? Empty have the top pipebands lost their individuality?

Post by Robbie.Crow Sun 20 Jul - 15:53:38

I've been listening to some old recordings recently, and i can sort of tell that "back in the day" every band more or less had "their sound". This is backed up by some remarks my tutor makes. So do you think that the top bands all sound the same now? would you still be able to tell a certian band by their sound? If not, do you think that it is a shame that we have lost that?
Robbie.Crow
Robbie.Crow

Registration date : 2007-10-13
Number of posts : 1089

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Denny & Dunipace Pipe Band

http://www.robbiecrow.com

Back to top Go down

have the top pipebands lost their individuality? Empty Re: have the top pipebands lost their individuality?

Post by Gordy88 Sun 20 Jul - 16:52:06

Yes and yes

piper
Gordy88
Gordy88

Registration date : 2007-10-18
Number of posts : 1142

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Geoghegan Memorial

http://www.professionalpiperhire.com

Back to top Go down

have the top pipebands lost their individuality? Empty Re: have the top pipebands lost their individuality?

Post by stormy Sun 20 Jul - 23:45:51

Gordy88 wrote:Yes and yes

I agree wholeheartedly.
Today's top bands all sound the same. Individuality is sadly lacking and this must surely be detrimental to the pipe band world.
If you know the tunes played and in what order then you might have a small chance using your ear alone.
With some bands it is damn near impossible to tell whether they are playing an up-tempo march, reels, hornpipe or even jigs at times. All the same monotonous tempos being set.

stormy

Number of posts : 496

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Enter Band Name Here!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Redneck Tue 22 Jul - 23:15:48

No 'n yes a agree wi Stormy regarding the tunes thingy........but sound wise no.

Boggies, SLOT, FMM sound nothing alike, end off.
Redneck
Redneck

Number of posts : 2051

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Drumlough pipe band N.Ireland 3A

http://Drumlough Pipe Band 3A ( fer now ) N.Ireland

Back to top Go down

Post by Redneck Fri 29 Aug - 13:57:46

stormy wrote:
Gordy88 wrote:Yes and yes

I agree wholeheartedly.
Today's top bands all sound the same. Individuality is sadly lacking and this must surely be detrimental to the pipe band world.

Found it, was looking fer this quote fer ages.

Sorry John, but yet again I beg to differ. My post above and the recent worlds performances prove this to not be so.
Many bands played the same chanters and did not sound the same, so, no, I think individuality still remains regarding bands and their own sound.
Redneck
Redneck

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by stormy Fri 29 Aug - 14:03:41

An ex PM of mine who was judging G1 at the worlds said to me "They all sound the same, no like the old days"!!!

stormy

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by Redneck Fri 29 Aug - 15:26:56

John, I have the utmost respect for Ian, but in IMO, there's no way that L&B Police sound like FMM or Bally ( wreck the bands ) coan.

Maybe the standard of sound has became a more level playing field( could this be what he's getting at?) as PM's have mastered setting their bands up, but still, the big uns do IMO still have their own sound.

Would love to have had a good chat wi Ian, but ya sent me aff da the bar............have the top pipebands lost their individuality? Simon-10 laughing laughing
Redneck
Redneck

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by Dai Robb Fri 29 Aug - 16:24:29

I will sit on the fence slightly here, but have to say that way back in the late 50s earl;y 60s, you could a pipeband on the radio(TVs were a luxury)? and could tell which band it was.
Can you still do the same thing now? I dont know? cause i never just listen to bands, i normally will have a CD so know who it is, Good post though Robbie.
Dai Robb
Dai Robb

Number of posts : 1995

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by True_Blue_Piper Fri 29 Aug - 17:22:38

Back in the days when bands actually played real bagpipe music, of course you could tell one from t'other.

Even getting away from bands and into solos it was possible to even work it out.

How many of you have the "Worlds Great Pipers Series" of Angus MacDonald....at least 50% of the tunes and the settings he plays are old Scots Guards favourites....not just from when the recording was made but going back two or three decades. Anyone who was ex Scots Guards could tell that it was Angus not just from the excellence of the instrument or the playing but from the tunes he played. If it wasn't Angus, then it was certainly an ex Scots Guardsman.

The Inverness Gathering...the 2/4 march was long....an old Edinburgh City Police tune.

Rabs Wedding, Angus MacKinnon etc.....wasn't too hard to work out that it was either Muirheads or the Edinburgh Police especially if you listen to the swing or to the chanters. I doubt there is a single band in the world then or since who can play a 6/8 like the Edinburgh City Police could.

Bands in these days had their signature tunes and their signature sound.

Not long ago, I was listening on an old record player to some vinyl LPs of the Glasgow City Police, Edinburgh City Police, Muirhead & Sons, Invergordon and even old top G2 bands such as Bilston Glen Colliery and Edinburgh Special Constabulary.

It wasn't hard to work out the Police....... but my father could go further and state 100% correctly every single other band on the records......and could do so because of their sound and their signature tunes.
True_Blue_Piper
True_Blue_Piper

Number of posts : 2002

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Elastic Band

Back to top Go down

Post by Redneck Fri 29 Aug - 19:05:53

Thank you Ron, same as todays top bands.

Gotta agree about the Edinburgh Police. Would love to get my hands on their old albums now.

My fav' set was the MSR wi the Little Cascade reel.......brill.
Redneck
Redneck

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by stormy Fri 29 Aug - 19:35:09

Redneck wrote:Maybe the standard of sound has became a more level playing field( could this be what he's getting at?).........Would love to have had a good chat wi Ian, but ya sent me aff da the bar............

That's possible. In my days we had a "big broad" sound and always felt that Shotts were "thinner". Some would say this was sharp or flat but it wasn't. The pitch was usually about the same.
I accept that I'm not "in the circuit" as a player these days but I do find it impossible to tell one band from another unless their "signature tune" (as has been mentioned) is played.

BTW - I sent you to the bar 'cause I didn't want the man to embarrass you!! laughing laughing laughing

Last edited by stormy on Mon 1 Sep - 20:16:06; edited 1 time in total

stormy

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by Redneck Fri 29 Aug - 22:12:07

stormy wrote: BTW - I sent you to the bar 'cause I didn't the man to embarrass you!! laughing laughing laughing

Awwww yer so thoughtful.................NOT laughing laughing laughing
Redneck
Redneck

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum