September 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Keywords

Explain this

View previous topic View next topic Go down

.. Explain this

Post by Redneck on Thu 21 Aug - 13:53:29

Just a wee talking point fer us da kick about.

The most popular chanter in the grade 1 arena was the McCallum, now, why and what reason is there for such a wide variation in sound / tone from the grade 1 bands.

My fav' on the day was S.O.S, clean crisp and in my opinion musical. There are so many factors to take onboard here, reeds being used ( chanter ), who is setting the band up.

Here's another wee point if Roddy was to say set up Ballycoan wi the same reeds, would the sound be the same as S.O.S

Right let 'er rip...............I await all yer thoughts, this is just regarding the McCallum's. There were other bands who sounded class too, but of the McCallums I liked S.O.S at the time I heard 'em. ( Then al give mine ) Pint

BTW, a can be serious when a want. Just takes a while. big grin

Last edited by Redneck on Thu 21 Aug - 15:09:26; edited 1 time in total
Redneck

Registration date : 2007-10-13
Number of posts : 2051

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Drumlough pipe band N.Ireland 3A

http://Drumlough Pipe Band 3A ( fer now ) N.Ireland

Back to top Go down

.. Re: Explain this

Post by Piping Connections on Thu 21 Aug - 15:04:32

Right Jimmy Jobbless

I would go along with reeds an Pipe set up m8

I can get my pipe set up for me but it might not suit you diff strengths of reeds etc m8, as you know just because you get chanter reeds from the same maker doesnt make all the reeds the same,
SOS couldnae hear them behind a newspaper but lovely sound all the same , Boghall , Shotts, big sound diff harmonics,
oh!! no forgeting the wee sprinkle oh magic dust n feel good factor when playing, when yeh feel good and yer Pipe is singin there is nothing better, but when your no happy or even worse, that will do attitude, then the pipe will not sound as good .
The last minute ahm no gonna be dropped so i will battle on regardless attitude as well, so maybe its Pipe preperation and Attitude !!!!
Piping Connections

Number of posts : 1404

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: band !!! band !!!!!!!!! yer havin a laff

http://www.pipingconnections.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dai Robb on Thu 21 Aug - 15:29:24

Not being a piper, but have to agree with Richard, like a lo0t of things, if you are not feeling up to the mark it will affect your attitude, Sorry cant comment on the other things I wisnae there??
Dai Robb

Number of posts : 1995

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Enter Band Name Here!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy88 on Thu 21 Aug - 17:32:36

Good post mate,

I don't know what they used reedwise, but I know they got some from Steven Warnock, they also got some from Davy Chesney.

We use Stevens reeds in the main, along with the McCallum Tupperware chanter, although we will have a set of wooden ones delivered to us at Dunoon.

I think, firstly, that the pitch at which you start, plays a big part, but not as much as how long you blow.

I have found that about 20 mins blowing gives a nice even, broader sound, and 50/60 mins blowing, the chanters have thinned out and become light and peaky

(At this stage, I am a spectator!!, way too peaky for me, and being a dry blower on a hot day, I'm gone over the top)

Dry blowers, wet blowers, cane or plastic reeds, plastic or sheepskin bags, all have an effect.

A sheepskin bag, and cane reeds really opens up the chanter sound, we have a couple of guys using MG reeds, and their chanters, whilst 'on', are never as good as the guys playing cane reeds, they tend to lack a certain richness.

Another part is how fine do you set the chanters? A wee bit here and there gives a bit of a safety margin, whereas setting them superfine gives none, and you really need the men to blow tone.

In Summary, I reckon its a big box of variables, and that a lot of Pipe Majors are happy enough to get them all the same on the line!!

Cheers

piper
Gordy88

Registration date : 2007-10-18
Number of posts : 1142

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Geoghegan Memorial

http://www.professionalpiperhire.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Redneck on Thu 21 Aug - 19:42:06

Cheers, good points from both.

@Richard, I kinda liked SOS ( the pitch ) was clean 'n crisp, gotta agree other bands had more volume.

Finding the correct position in the reed seat IMO is a big big factor, and the ear / talent of the guy setting up. There is a sweet spot in all chanters / drones, go past that either way 'n yer in fer trouble.

Ya gotta know yer players, too often I've seen PM's take out the offending chanter test it wi one he knows is sound only to set 'n mouth blow it to suit him 'n stick it back in...........naw, no good. The guy will blow the reed to suit him not the PM.

Boghall 'n Shotts use Shepard ?.......well they did the last I heard.

There's a lot of truth in what Richard says too about being up fer it, pipes in order ect, if yer not happy wi yer pipes you'll not be givin' it yer all.........poorer tonal quality on the day.

There's loadsa stuff will hamper the sound a band gets, a just thought, hey, someone once said "All bands sound the same nowadays ".......how further away from the truth that was.

11 grade 1 bands wi McCallums 'n 11 totaly varient sounds.

Reeds, weather, hangovers, nerves, poor prep these all have their toll......oh aye, 'n arsewipe judges. big grin

Cheers guys, been a while since we got the serious head on. ( redneck's act of reproduction av too much time on ma han's)
Redneck

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by stormy on Thu 21 Aug - 21:04:14

Piping Connections wrote:.....I can get my pipe set up for me but it might not suit you......when yeh feel good and yer Pipe is singin there is nothing better......so maybe its Pipe preperation and Attitude !!!!

Gordy88 wrote:Dry blowers, wet blowers, cane or plastic reeds, plastic or sheepskin bags, all have an effect.

Redneck wrote:Ya gotta know yer players, too often I've seen PM's take out the offending chanter test it wi one he knows is sound only to set 'n mouth blow it to suit him 'n stick it back in...........naw, no good.

In days gone by the sound was down to the PM. Now I wonder if the PM or the "sound guys" decide on the tone and pitch.
There are so many variables (as has been pointed out), that I feel that it must come down to the attitude of the player and the PM.
The good PM will know how each piper in his band blows / maintains / plays his instrument and will allow for this when picking a reed for any particular piper. The piper should also know what is expected of him meet the PM's expectations.

Sometimes your reed will be slightly sharp or flat and no matter what the PM does it stays there. The good piper will learn to "ease off" or "blow harder" to compensate for this. Sometimes even for only one particular note.

I know things have changed over the years but I learned from a bloody good G1 PM and several other top class players. I didn't do to badly when I think back.

stormy

Number of posts : 496

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Enter Band Name Here!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Redneck on Fri 22 Aug - 12:53:01

Cheers m8, a just thought it would be a good talking point. Turned out everyone is in the same frame of mind.
Just as you say John, even back in our prime time the Sinclair was the main chanter.....Glasgo Police v Edinburgh Police, two crackin' PM's, but both equaly different sounds from the same chanter.

GHB's will never cease to amaze me at the vast amount of differance not only between bands but each individual pipers pipes.

Heres another one too, 7 sets of Niall's.......same reeds.....not the same sound. Class.
Rolling Eyes Laughing
Redneck

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy88 on Fri 22 Aug - 18:04:35

Redneck wrote:

Heres another one too, 7 sets of Niall's.......same reeds.....not the same sound. Class.
Rolling Eyes Laughing

Thats CNC bagpipes that are made in Engerland for you

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Last edited by stormy on Fri 22 Aug - 19:19:42; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : corrected quote things)
Gordy88

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by Redneck on Sat 23 Aug - 12:47:04

Don't start that crap again, CNC V's Handmade....... Sleep Sleep Sleep ,
I've heard some pissh setsa Henderson 'n Sinclairs too m8.

BTW, a don't like Niall anyhow crap. IMO, although people have said mine sound good..... big grin , must be the Canning reeds. ( told people they were cane Twisted Evil )
Redneck

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy88 on Sat 23 Aug - 13:35:41

Redneck wrote:Don't start that crap again, CNC V's Handmade....... Sleep Sleep Sleep ,
I've heard some pissh setsa Henderson 'n Sinclairs too m8.

BTW, a don't like Niall anyhow crap. IMO, although people have said mine sound good..... big grin , must be the Canning reeds. ( told people they were cane Twisted Evil )

The blower makes a big difference,, reeds and drones vary, I tried chesney reeds in mine, and although quite nice were far too mellow for band use, I have a Hepburns in at the Mo' and they give me what I'm looking for.

The trick, as you well know, is understanding your bagpipe, and knowing what you want from it

Did you ever get sorted with the Wee Mans pipes?

Cheers
Gordy88

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by Redneck on Sat 23 Aug - 15:08:39

Very true m8, Hepburn's are class. Naw the wee man's were gone.
Redneck

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top