MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Keywords

Are they useful?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

.. Are they useful?

Post by stormy on Wed 11 Mar - 21:13:11

Are pipers / drummers who were at their prime 20 - 30 years ago still of use to pipe bands today given the modern day advances in instruments and playing technique?

stormy

Registration date : 2007-10-13
Number of posts : 496

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Enter Band Name Here!!!!

Back to top Go down

.. Re: Are they useful?

Post by Gordy88 on Wed 11 Mar - 23:13:41

Absolutely, no Question.

Bob Laffin, 74 this year, played with me in RUCPB, before I was there, he was Nat Russells P/S

Currently playing with Cottown in 3a. He always has an immaculate Bagpipe, blows good tone, and doesn't wobble in the circle

He knows how to set up his pipe, how to maintain it, and how to blow it. So what if he leaves the odd movement out, Do you think Denver will hear it?

He is only one example, Redneck is another, I'm sure there are scores of others, experience has a value beyond measure, to me, it doesnt matter how well you play the disco stuff, but what you do in the circle, thats what a competition band is about.

Personally, I reckon I'm playing better than ever, I do a lot of work, and the standard is much higher than it was, but even the understanding of the music is better, not just playing like a robot.

I'll be 44 this year, so if I can do it, with work, most guys of our 'era' can

cheers
Gordy88

Registration date : 2007-10-18
Number of posts : 1142

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Geoghegan Memorial

http://www.professionalpiperhire.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie.Crow on Thu 12 Mar - 0:29:48

Yep Theyre needed. especially for teaching.

I know myself, that i pay alot more attention and respect to the guys that have been doing it for years, rather than some guy that has been playing for 10 years and passed his RSPBA teaching qualification. Why? The older guys have more experience, so what if they dont have a certificate to say they cant teach - does that mean theyre not as good.,

An example of this is my current tutor, he's too old to carry a drum now, but he still teaches - and he has done since he was 20. he's made many successful drummers, and he has truly been there and done it. I'd take his opinion over a judge or a g1 player any day. And i do, i'd much rather sit and listen to what he had to say about my performance than anyone else.

oh aye, and theres redneck and stormy - who are needed to teach us how to fall over with dignitey big grin
Robbie.Crow

Number of posts : 1089

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Denny & Dunipace Pipe Band

http://www.robbiecrow.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dai Robb on Thu 12 Mar - 13:40:11

I would say (as an Elder Statesman) that providing the people have been continually involved in the Pipe Band scene, and have kept up to date with progress, then yes they have a place.
There have been so many changes over the years, that if like me you are "out on a limb" then you are grasping at straws, you need to keep involved.
Dai Robb

Number of posts : 1995

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by Redneck on Thu 12 Mar - 19:25:59

Thanks Gordy. Yes I'd agree wi everything that's been said so far, but having played 40 odd years I know better than most when to call it a day, I'd rather quit whilst at a decent level than carry on thinking I can still belt out Troy's Wedding wi clean clear fingering.

Drumlough have given me a new lease of life in piping and Stevie 'n Ian will listen to things I have to say or try to do, and that is appreciated by me, as is the advice taken on board by them. There's a fine line between being a busybody / know-all and interference, and, passing on knowledge or wee tips.

Just got a phone call the other night from a guy looking help starting up his fathers old band after a lot of years off the road, things like that makes it all worthwhile.
Thanks to Richard he will have the things he was after this week.
Redneck

Number of posts : 2051

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Drumlough pipe band N.Ireland 3A

http://Drumlough Pipe Band 3A ( fer now ) N.Ireland

Back to top Go down

Post by stormy on Fri 13 Mar - 19:24:59

Dai Robb wrote:I would say (as an Elder Statesman) that providing the people have been continually involved in the Pipe Band scene, and have kept up to date with progress, then yes they have a place.
There have been so many changes over the years, that if like me you are "out on a limb" then you are grasping at straws, you need to keep involved.

Thanks Dai.
Along the same lines as I was thinking.

stormy

Number of posts : 496

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by wee_fee-Fee on Fri 13 Mar - 20:07:14

Of course they are still of use. They all have some form of experience and knowledge which I think the next generation of players would be eager to learn. If they have some semblance of knowledge regarding pipe bands, pass it on.
wee_fee-Fee

Registration date : 2007-10-15
Number of posts : 630

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Boghall & Bathgate Pipe Band

http://www.boghallandbathgate.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Redneck on Fri 13 Mar - 20:11:28

Like yer new avatar.
Redneck

Number of posts : 2051

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Drumlough pipe band N.Ireland 3A

http://Drumlough Pipe Band 3A ( fer now ) N.Ireland

Back to top Go down

Post by Dai Robb on Sat 14 Mar - 13:54:54

wee_fee-Fee wrote:Of course they are still of use. They all have some form of experience and knowledge which I think the next generation of players would be eager to learn. If they have some semblance of knowledge regarding pipe bands, pass it on.

What about people like as I have already mentioned Myself and to a lesser extent Stormy, who although still loving the music etc, are not actively involved, in my case have not touched drum sticks for more years than I care to mention, yet still an avid fan? would I not cause more harm than good, were I too go and offer my services, I can still remember the rudiments(just about) doubt i could hold the sticks now though thanks to my mate Arthur Itis, and although keen to help, I personally feel that the whole Pipe band scene has progressed at suuch a rate, my ideas are to say the least ancient? so would I not do more harm than good?
Whilst Stormy shall we say is still playing(for pleasure maybe)
Dai Robb

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by True_Blue_Piper on Sat 14 Mar - 14:12:43

The tackle may be old, but as long as the enjoyment's still there....

Sound familiar Dai? big grin
True_Blue_Piper

Number of posts : 2002

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Elastic Band

Back to top Go down

Post by Piping Connections on Sat 14 Mar - 14:43:56

disagree Dai!!!! health issues aside its high time we brought back the older guys and use their principles of learning how to play properly phrase properly etc - something that has been lost due to the desire of young uns to get into G1 playing 300 mph stuff without learning the basics properly

we have 4 who dinae want to play MSR,s and feel we should be playing all these hornreels and when they do decide to try the comp 2/4,s its barrel organ round
Piping Connections

Number of posts : 1404

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: band !!! band !!!!!!!!! yer havin a laff

http://www.pipingconnections.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dai Robb on Sat 14 Mar - 16:49:54

I have said before Rich, by all means someone who is "au fai" still with what is happening in the band World, who has kept contact with what is going on, but the likes of old farts like me? nah, Blooming heck? if we mastered a Mammy Daddy, we packed up and went to the Pub to celebrate.
Okay perhaps a few weeks back in harness and it would all come flooding back, but as i stated before in my case, I can hardly hold a Pint Glass , never mind sticks?(Now that is sad)
Dai Robb

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie.Crow on Sun 15 Mar - 0:07:05

I agree with richard. In drumming (i dont know about piping) alot of the old rudiemtnts have been lost by the younger drummers who are not taught properly. An example is someone in my school, thinks he's an amazing drummer and to a certain extent he is, but he isnt also. I asked him to play something that i played, just copy me - it was just two paradiddles with five singles stuck together - he could play it, but all singles, no paradiddles - no rudimentation!

Old guys are needed in todays pipe band world!
Robbie.Crow

Number of posts : 1089

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Denny & Dunipace Pipe Band

http://www.robbiecrow.com

Back to top Go down

Post by janelle on Sun 15 Mar - 1:58:56

Veteran Pipers and Drummers are not only useful, they're one of the most valuable asset the Piping World has. I always found there is so much to learn, even if just just having a chat over a drink with experienced veteran player.
janelle

Number of posts : 921

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Queensland Country Pipe Band

Back to top Go down

Post by True_Blue_Piper on Sun 15 Mar - 2:09:53

Piping Connections wrote:disagree Dai!!!! health issues aside its high time we brought back the older guys and use their principles of learning how to play properly phrase properly etc - something that has been lost due to the desire of young uns to get into G1 playing 300 mph stuff without learning the basics properly

we have 4 who dinae want to play MSR,s and feel we should be playing all these hornreels and when they do decide to try the comp 2/4,s its barrel organ round

Wow......that sounds like one of my rants.......I should have copyrighted it !

Way to go, Richard.
True_Blue_Piper

Number of posts : 2002

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Elastic Band

Back to top Go down

Post by Dai Robb on Sun 15 Mar - 13:40:03

Okay? so how would you feel Robbie if someone(such as myself) who has had no contact with the pipe band scene for nearly 40 years, suddenly appeared, and tried to alter everything that you had learned?, I can still "talk" a good drum score, but play one? I doubt it.
I hear where you are all coming from, but I still say people like myself would do more harm than good, I accept people like Stormy who although not actually playing competitive stuff, are still actively involved, Perhaps on an administrative side of things i could be a benefit but as far as encouraging the playing side of things, I dont think so.
Dai Robb

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by Piping Connections on Sun 15 Mar - 13:55:57

Dai Robb wrote:Okay? so how would you feel Robbie if someone(such as myself) who has had no contact with the pipe band scene for nearly 40 years, suddenly appeared, and tried to alter everything that you had learned?, I can still "talk" a good drum score, but play one? I doubt it.
I hear where you are all coming from, but I still say people like myself would do more harm than good, I accept people like Stormy who although not actually playing competitive stuff, are still actively involved, Perhaps on an administrative side of things i could be a benefit but as far as encouraging the playing side of things, I dont think so.

no - your missing the point Dave - there are still good players of a certain vintage out there who have kept active in the Band Playing scene - these are the guys who should be listened to - in moderation - not guys who have been out the way of it for 30 years - no disrespect meant there !!!!!!
Piping Connections

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper06 on Sun 15 Mar - 20:29:25

I agree the experienced players are useful, IF they have kept up with the piping changes over the years. We have an "old guard" and a new guard in our band. Some of the "old guard" resist learning new tunes and expanding our repertoire. Others say we shouldn't play sets, just single tunes since the "newer" pipers don't have the stamina. Yet this same person has been playing with only two drones for the three years I have been playing with this band.

If the older players are willing to teach others and pass on their knowledge they yes they have a place in piping. If they just want to sit around and relive the "glory days" or "when I first started to pipe" then they don't have a place.

Piper06

Number of posts : 289

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Atholl Highlanders Pipes and Drums USA

http://www.usahpd.com/

Back to top Go down

.. ...

Post by Piping Connections on Sun 15 Mar - 22:14:43

Piper06 wrote:
Yet this same person has been playing with only two drones for the three years I have been playing with this band.

Didnt know you played in Shotts !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! piper piper piper
Piping Connections

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy88 on Sun 15 Mar - 23:14:06

Its going to be down to individuals at the end of it,

I don't know Much about drumming, but with piping you never lose the knowledge to set up what is a pretty complicated and changable instrument.

I assume that tuning a drum is as simple as running round some nuts and bolts with a torque wrench, once its pitched that is,

As drums themselves have increased in complexity, you still need to be ' up to date', If you ever need a rope tension drum set, Dai's your man laughing

The other problem can be the target audience, i have come across a few people who aren't able to vote yet, but know absolutely everything about piping Suspect Suspect

No matter who you are, you will have something to add, more. or less, but still something.

cheers
Gordy88

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by Dai Robb on Mon 16 Mar - 14:37:00

Gordy88 wrote:, If you ever need a rope tension drum set, Dai's your man laughing

cheers

DEATH will be painful??? laughing laughing laughing

Quote@@ Richard? You are missing the point?

if you read through all the posts on this, you will actually find that we ALL AGREE really? just a slight difference in wording
Dai Robb

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by Piping Connections on Mon 16 Mar - 14:41:12

yeah your right Dave Pint again laughing
Piping Connections

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy88 on Mon 16 Mar - 19:28:36

laughing laughing laughing
Gordy88

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by Dai Robb on Mon 16 Mar - 21:58:54

Gordy88 wrote:laughing laughing laughing

I am still watching you?? be careful of any parcels arriving that have blood dripping from them? it might be a horse heid??

The "boys" have a contract?? laughing laughing
Dai Robb

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy88 on Tue 17 Mar - 2:54:42

Dai Robb wrote:
Gordy88 wrote:laughing laughing laughing

I am still watching you?? be careful of any parcels arriving that have blood dripping from them? it might be a horse heid??

The "boys" have a contract?? laughing laughing

As long as its 'the boys' and not 'the bhoys' it'll be alright

One gets tea and the other gets the 12 bore laughing laughing
Gordy88

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content