Piping Connections
PRETTY IN PINK
Latest topics
» PINK AGAIN!!
Tue 12 Jan - 17:37:19 by Gordy88

» 2010 Happ New Year All!!!!
Thu 7 Jan - 0:05:24 by Chiddy

» Please Read!!
Sun 9 Aug - 14:05:38 by True_Blue_Piper

» draw for cowal
Sun 9 Aug - 13:46:20 by shortstuff

» Two days early. lol
Sun 9 Aug - 13:08:03 by Dai Robb

» MG drone reeds
Sun 9 Aug - 2:02:22 by True_Blue_Piper

» Bag worth a try!!
Sat 8 Aug - 18:16:26 by Werepiper

» Countdown Counter
Wed 29 Jul - 14:50:42 by Heilan Mary

» RSPBA exams
Tue 28 Jul - 16:55:42 by Gordy88

» Wallace Bagpipes, Piping on the Clyde III
Mon 27 Jul - 10:13:32 by Redneck

 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 Profile
 FAQ
 Search
November 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
  12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930   

Calendar Calendar

Keywords


A medley

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

.. A medley

Post by scots wa hae on Thu 9 Apr - 18:32:51

Going on from my other post pick a Medley for a band potentially going into grade 3. My choice is

Acid piper
Braes of Melinish (under reviewbut lends itself very well for harmonies)
Farewell to the camraw (disputed by others!!!!)
Fiddlers joy
AA cameron
Paddy le blanc
Flesh market close (again could well lend itself well for harmonies for a fantastic finnish)

scots wa hae
Member
Member

Registration date : 2009-01-31
Number of posts : 64

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name:

Back to top Go down

.. Re: A medley

Post by True_Blue_Piper on Fri 10 Apr - 3:12:46

I haven't heard of half these tunes. big grin

However, I can well imagine....played rounded with virtually every tune being played with harmony upon harmony and no clean breaks, just some nonsensical non-tune between each tune???????

Please tell me I'm wrong.... Mutley
avatar
True_Blue_Piper
Member
Member

Registration date : 2007-10-13
Number of posts : 2002

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Elastic Band

Back to top Go down

.. Re: A medley

Post by Gordy88 on Fri 10 Apr - 10:44:32

True_Blue_Piper wrote:I haven't heard of half these tunes. big grin

However, I can well imagine....played rounded with virtually every tune being played with harmony upon harmony and no clean breaks, just some nonsensical non-tune between each tune???????

Please tell me I'm wrong.... Mutley

You been on the cynical pills today mate? laughing

I always have a problem remembering tune names, but I reckon the name of the first tune starts it well, and sets the tone for many of todays medleys

Ha ha
avatar
Gordy88
Member
Member

Registration date : 2007-10-18
Number of posts : 1142
Age : 52

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Geoghegan Memorial

http://www.professionalpiperhire.com

Back to top Go down

.. Re: A medley

Post by True_Blue_Piper on Fri 10 Apr - 11:49:57

laughing laughing laughing
avatar
True_Blue_Piper
Member
Member

Registration date : 2007-10-13
Number of posts : 2002

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Elastic Band

Back to top Go down

.. Re: A medley

Post by Gordy88 on Fri 10 Apr - 12:07:26

My view on on testing grade 3 medley, looking towards grade 2 so that it has a wee bit of expandability.


Ship in a bottle - 2parts

Dorotor Bridge - 2 parts
Barbaras strathspey -2 parts

Murdo Morrison s/a

Davocfin - 2parts
Kalabakan - 2 parts
Kelseys wee reel 4 parts

cheers
avatar
Gordy88
Member
Member

Registration date : 2007-10-18
Number of posts : 1142
Age : 52

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Geoghegan Memorial

http://www.professionalpiperhire.com

Back to top Go down

.. Re: A medley

Post by scots wa hae on Fri 10 Apr - 23:48:40

True_Blue_Piper wrote:I haven't heard of half these tunes. big grin

However, I can well imagine....played rounded with virtually every tune being played with harmony upon harmony and no clean breaks, just some nonsensical non-tune between each tune???????

Please tell me I'm wrong.... Mutley

You'll be a drummer then???

scots wa hae
Member
Member

Registration date : 2009-01-31
Number of posts : 64

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name:

Back to top Go down

.. Re: A medley

Post by scots wa hae on Fri 10 Apr - 23:52:02

Gordy I must admit none of these tunes ring a bell with me so I couldnt comment. If they are available on BWW I would love to listen to them. The stat of the selection I mentioned is and would be given to any one wanting to hear it.

scots wa hae
Member
Member

Registration date : 2009-01-31
Number of posts : 64

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name:

Back to top Go down

.. Re: A medley

Post by Wyatt on Fri 10 Apr - 23:55:58

As long as there is music in there....wonderful...I am p****d off listening to total non musical,finger gymnastical crap...as played by most bands nowadays..wonderful letter in the April Piping Times by a Mr Tommy Nimmo from Broxburn on this very subject...I listened to a band recently on the radio (from the southern hemisphere!!) they played a set...wonderful sound ..wonderful talent....but musically..."nothing...absolultley ..nothing just a jumble of notes played at breakneck speed...!!
avatar
Wyatt
Member
Member

Registration date : 2008-10-31
Number of posts : 64
Age : 66

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: 79 New York Highlanders..

Back to top Go down

.. Re: A medley

Post by scots wa hae on Sat 11 Apr - 0:09:46

Wyatt wrote:As long as there is music in there....wonderful...I am p****d off listening to total non musical,finger gymnastical crap...as played by most bands nowadays..wonderful letter in the April Piping Times by a Mr Tommy Nimmo from Broxburn on this very subject...I listened to a band recently on the radio (from the southern hemisphere!!) they played a set...wonderful sound ..wonderful talent....but musically..."nothing...absolultley ..nothing just a jumble of notes played at breakneck speed...!!

A man after my ownheart. This is for another thread and very interesting it will be.

scots wa hae
Member
Member

Registration date : 2009-01-31
Number of posts : 64

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name:

Back to top Go down

.. Re: A medley

Post by Redneck on Sat 11 Apr - 19:12:53

A grade3A medley looking towads grade 2 ?............... Hmm , a reckon Drumlough's 2009 medly wouldn't be far aff a gid grade 2 selection.

Trip to Herves
Oul Hag ya killed me
Tinky Jig
unknown S/Air
Aspen bank ( a think, a suffer from Gordy syndrome laughing )
M Clootch is awe
Edwin's Digi Place 4 parts. big grin ..........classsssssssssssss
avatar
Redneck
Member
Member

Registration date : 2007-10-13
Number of posts : 2051
Age : 60

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Drumlough pipe band N.Ireland 3A

http://Drumlough Pipe Band 3A ( fer now ) N.Ireland

Back to top Go down

.. Re: A medley

Post by True_Blue_Piper on Sun 12 Apr - 2:49:07

I don't think it would make much difference nowadays if a band went on playing :-

Kumbaya
The Birdie Song
Riding Along on the Crest of a Wave
The Wombles of Wimbleton
I've Got a Brand New Combine Harvester
Cotton Eye Joe

Of course three of them would be played at breakneck speed, five would have harmonies and for the last tune, everyone could turn round, not just 360 degrees, but by taking one hand of the chanter and raising the kilt at the same time.

Bah, humbug.
avatar
True_Blue_Piper
Member
Member

Registration date : 2007-10-13
Number of posts : 2002

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Elastic Band

Back to top Go down

.. Re: A medley

Post by Redneck on Sun 12 Apr - 13:17:00

Why'd ya include "Horse it inda ya Cynthia" ?..........class wi counterpointin'. Grrrrr Ha ha Ha ha
avatar
Redneck
Member
Member

Registration date : 2007-10-13
Number of posts : 2051
Age : 60

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Drumlough pipe band N.Ireland 3A

http://Drumlough Pipe Band 3A ( fer now ) N.Ireland

Back to top Go down

.. Re: A medley

Post by Dai Robb on Sun 12 Apr - 13:29:23

I take it "We are not amused" then Ron?
avatar
Dai Robb
Member
Member

Registration date : 2007-10-13
Number of posts : 1995
Age : 81

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Enter Band Name Here!!!!

Back to top Go down

.. Re: A medley

Post by True_Blue_Piper on Sun 12 Apr - 18:40:37

Not amused....certainly sums it up.

There are great tunes out there, tunes that have been played for decades many of which have become forgotten. Why do we have to have crap played over and again ?

Funnily enough, by complete and utter coincidence, our own band finally has found a place to practice and we are getting the band up and running again w.e.f. from this Choosday....and yet....one of the youngsters in the band has just written a reply saying that he has loads of new hornpipes and jigs which the band could play......

The SOB can't even play Heilan Laddie........or the 79ths to Gib......and just wants to play smelly broon stuff that purports to be music....

Pretty much sums up some of the younger generation.
avatar
True_Blue_Piper
Member
Member

Registration date : 2007-10-13
Number of posts : 2002

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Elastic Band

Back to top Go down

.. Re: A medley

Post by scots wa hae on Sun 12 Apr - 19:11:39

True_Blue_Piper wrote:Not amused....certainly sums it up.

There are great tunes out there, tunes that have been played for decades many of which have become forgotten. Why do we have to have crap played over and again ?

Funnily enough, by complete and utter coincidence, our own band finally has found a place to practice and we are getting the band up and running again w.e.f. from this Choosday....and yet....one of the youngsters in the band has just written a reply saying that he has loads of new hornpipes and jigs which the band could play......

The SOB can't even play Heilan Laddie........or the 79ths to Gib......and just wants to play smelly broon stuff that purports to be music....

Pretty much sums up some of the younger generation.

My next thread will cheer you up mate. I agree with everything you are saying but unfortunately that's the state piping is in nowadays! And whilst the likes of SFU, FM and Shotts etc continue to play that style of music then we will have to put up with it!!

scots wa hae
Member
Member

Registration date : 2009-01-31
Number of posts : 64

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name:

Back to top Go down

.. Re: A medley

Post by Gordy88 on Sun 12 Apr - 23:22:21

scots wa hae wrote:Gordy I must admit none of these tunes ring a bell with me so I couldnt comment. If they are available on BWW I would love to listen to them. The stat of the selection I mentioned is and would be given to any one wanting to hear it.

Whats 'BWW'?

They're all in books, just read 'em and play 'em, dead easy.

@Ron, lot of good points mate, people are far too quick to run to the manuscript and write crap.

There are books that are full of properly written and constructed tunes, not like some of todays stuff, which is little more than drivel.

I can think of a terrific player, who plays in a top band, and he writes crap, lots of bands play it, but only because he writes it,

Piping is about MUSIC!!!!!!!! Is a bit of musical flow too difficult for the instant experts to understand?

I play in the same band as Phil Greer, he's a good mate, and We've known each other for over 20 years.

For those who don't know, he wrote 'duckin and divin' 'chasing shadows' etc and a lot more. He is leery about what he writes, he only wants to play it when its right, FMM still use his tunes to tune up to, but he is not interested in writing a pile of crap just so he can publish a book and indulge in the ''I'm wonderful complex'

He cares about the quality of his writings, thats not to say he's written some yucky broon stuff as well, as I point out to him on a regular basis, but he only wants the very best out there,

Europop for pipe bands doesnt work, Lets get away from it, and back to decent tunes, the only element of piping that has not as yet been bastardised seems to be strathspeys, but I believe the Vale of Athol played harmonies in them last year, I stand to be corrected on that



cheers
avatar
Gordy88
Member
Member

Registration date : 2007-10-18
Number of posts : 1142
Age : 52

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Geoghegan Memorial

http://www.professionalpiperhire.com

Back to top Go down

.. Re: A medley

Post by scots wa hae on Mon 13 Apr - 10:22:37

Gordy88 wrote:
scots wa hae wrote:Gordy I must admit none of these tunes ring a bell with me so I couldnt comment. If they are available on BWW I would love to listen to them. The stat of the selection I mentioned is and would be given to any one wanting to hear it.

Whats 'BWW'?

They're all in books, just read 'em and play 'em, dead easy.

@Ron, lot of good points mate, people are far too quick to run to the manuscript and write crap.

There are books that are full of properly written and constructed tunes, not like some of todays stuff, which is little more than drivel.

I can think of a terrific player, who plays in a top band, and he writes crap, lots of bands play it, but only because he writes it,

Piping is about MUSIC!!!!!!!! Is a bit of musical flow too difficult for the instant experts to understand?

I play in the same band as Phil Greer, he's a good mate, and We've known each other for over 20 years.

For those who don't know, he wrote 'duckin and divin' 'chasing shadows' etc and a lot more. He is leery about what he writes, he only wants to play it when its right, FMM still use his tunes to tune up to, but he is not interested in writing a pile of crap just so he can publish a book and indulge in the ''I'm wonderful complex'

He cares about the quality of his writings, thats not to say he's written some yucky broon stuff as well, as I point out to him on a regular basis, but he only wants the very best out there,

Europop for pipe bands doesnt work, Lets get away from it, and back to decent tunes, the only element of piping that has not as yet been bastardised seems to be strathspeys, but I believe the Vale of Athol played harmonies in them last year, I stand to be corrected on that



cheers

Gordy BWW is the files for Bagpipe player. Having only just returned to playing my music book selection is still low but Im working on it. Excellent points regards modern tunes and using Phil Greer is in my eyes a fantastic example of quality writing and quality tunes. Did Shotts not also play harmonies in their strathspeys last year? Unfortunately my pipey has decided to do the same for 1 of our strathspeys for this season!!!

scots wa hae
Member
Member

Registration date : 2009-01-31
Number of posts : 64

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name:

Back to top Go down

.. Re: A medley

Post by stormy on Mon 13 Apr - 11:40:01

scots wa hae wrote:Having only just returned to playing my music book selection is still low but Im working on it.

Logans Bagpipe Tutor...
Queens Own Highlanders......
Scots Guards VI......
Scots Guards VII.....
Pipe Music for Highland Dancing....

You don't need much more than that. I have maybe 1 or 2 others which I have purchased for nothing more than the Hell of it. That selection above has lasted me for all of my piping career. Anything else I have is photocopies from the bands I have played with.
Buying every pipe music book that comes out tells me one thing only...you like collecting books!!!
You do not need a large collection when 5 or 6 will get you there.

stormy
Member
Member

Registration date : 2007-10-13
Number of posts : 496

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Enter Band Name Here!!!!

Back to top Go down

.. Re: A medley

Post by Redneck on Mon 13 Apr - 12:03:00

Got to agree wi the most of what's been said by Ron,Stormy and Gordy.

However I think there have been some crackin' newer compositions also.

The trend nowadays seems to lean towards the more folk / traditional side ( folk groups have incorporated a lot of pipes nowadays into their set up ) this is what the younger generation are listening to. Hence the breakneck tempos.........ie:- Tannahill Weavers, Battlefield Band to name a few.

Bands seem to have taken this onboard also IMO.

There are great hornpipes written by the old masters, which IMO wouldn't be outa place in today's medleys. Duncan Johnstone, Tam Bain's Lum, Ina McKenzie to name a few these are all hold 'n cut, not round 100mph finger exercises.

Trends do change, but bands who opt for the more traditional feeling to their medleys will suffer ( again IMO ) wrongly so.

No use moaning about it, we have a good blend of old and new, works quite well.

There again, some may say never the two should meet, yet again it's down to personal taste.

@Ron, yer spot on about the kids m8, I heard a young guy play in a bar...his fingerwork on hornreels 'n jigs was amazing. Made a point of listening to him in the solo contests...his MSR was pissh, enough said.

Good to hear about the band m8, hope it all goes well. Don't be too hard on the kids laughing , who knows, there might even be a few wee rinky dinky tunes wi a nice melodic flow. Twisted Evil big grin
avatar
Redneck
Member
Member

Registration date : 2007-10-13
Number of posts : 2051
Age : 60

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Drumlough pipe band N.Ireland 3A

http://Drumlough Pipe Band 3A ( fer now ) N.Ireland

Back to top Go down

.. Re: A medley

Post by scots wa hae on Mon 13 Apr - 12:30:33

stormy wrote:
scots wa hae wrote:Having only just returned to playing my music book selection is still low but Im working on it.

Logans Bagpipe Tutor...
Queens Own Highlanders......
Scots Guards VI......
Scots Guards VII.....
Pipe Music for Highland Dancing....

You don't need much more than that. I have maybe 1 or 2 others which I have purchased for nothing more than the Hell of it. That selection above has lasted me for all of my piping career. Anything else I have is photocopies from the bands I have played with.
Buying every pipe music book that comes out tells me one thing only...you like collecting books!!!
You do not need a large collection when 5 or 6 will get you there.

Couldnt agree more stormy I used to have both Gaurds books, and the queens own book, along with a few others n that was more than enough. The books will come thats a fact.
@ Redneck just out of where would you draw the line between good modern tunes and the rest? Myself Im not a big fan of alot of the modern tunes but there are some which in my eyes have their place in the selection, But alot of that will come down to personal taste!

scots wa hae
Member
Member

Registration date : 2009-01-31
Number of posts : 64

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name:

Back to top Go down

.. Re: A medley

Post by Redneck on Mon 13 Apr - 12:51:51

Don Bradford's stuff is good, some of Ryan Canning's too. Melodic, but wi that wee bita extra edge that gives ye the "holy friars tuck" feelin'.

Yes m8 I agree wi ya on personal taste, but not all so called modern stuff is pissh.
avatar
Redneck
Member
Member

Registration date : 2007-10-13
Number of posts : 2051
Age : 60

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Drumlough pipe band N.Ireland 3A

http://Drumlough Pipe Band 3A ( fer now ) N.Ireland

Back to top Go down

.. Re: A medley

Post by Gordy88 on Mon 13 Apr - 13:59:13

Scots Wa Hae,

Just yankin your chain mate, I do know what BWW files are. laughing


I reckon bagpipe player, whilst used as a tool is a very good piece of kit,
When used as the be all and end all, you're getting into trouble.

I am a believer in pipers learning to read music, understanding note values, tempo, idiom etc

BP skips all that, and you can sit in front of the tune and learn the tune parrot fashion, if your PC breaks down, what do you do?

Im My Opinion, you cannot call youeself a competant piper, or even a musician, until you can master ALL the aspects of your instrument, How it works, maintenance, setting it up, care, cleaning, blowing, how reeds work, reading music to an acceptable standard, tuning it properly, WITHOUT A METER

All that and more.

How often do you see a piper in a solo comp getting their drones tuned for them?

If I were judging, that would put them right out of it.

There is already a generation of pipers out there who don't understand how natural materials work in the bagpipe, plastic all the way,

Technology is a good thing, but not the only thing

Cheers
avatar
Gordy88
Member
Member

Registration date : 2007-10-18
Number of posts : 1142
Age : 52

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Geoghegan Memorial

http://www.professionalpiperhire.com

Back to top Go down

.. Re: A medley

Post by scots wa hae on Mon 13 Apr - 15:13:27

Gordy88 wrote:Scots Wa Hae,

Just yankin your chain mate, I do know what BWW files are. laughing


I reckon bagpipe player, whilst used as a tool is a very good piece of kit,
When used as the be all and end all, you're getting into trouble.

I am a believer in pipers learning to read music, understanding note values, tempo, idiom etc

BP skips all that, and you can sit in front of the tune and learn the tune parrot fashion, if your PC breaks down, what do you do?

Im My Opinion, you cannot call youeself a competant piper, or even a musician, until you can master ALL the aspects of your instrument, How it works, maintenance, setting it up, care, cleaning, blowing, how reeds work, reading music to an acceptable standard, tuning it properly, WITHOUT A METER

All that and more.

How often do you see a piper in a solo comp getting their drones tuned for them?

If I were judging, that would put them right out of it.

There is already a generation of pipers out there who don't understand how natural materials work in the bagpipe, plastic all the way,

Technology is a good thing, but not the only thing

Cheers

Tickle me I forgot to laugh!! laughing laughing

I again have to agree with what you are saying, when I was learning we were also taught how to look after our pipes seasoning, applying hemp and tying stocks in etc. Dont worry BP isnt the be all for me at present I find it a good way to collect music whilst my book collection starts to grow Damn computer

scots wa hae
Member
Member

Registration date : 2009-01-31
Number of posts : 64

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name:

Back to top Go down

.. Re: A medley

Post by stormy on Mon 13 Apr - 18:21:28

Redneck wrote:The trend nowadays seems to lean towards the more folk / traditional side ( folk groups have incorporated a lot of pipes nowadays into their set up ) this is what the younger generation are listening to. Hence the breakneck tempos.........ie:- Tannahill Weavers, Battlefield Band to name a few.

Bands seem to have taken this onboard also IMO.

There are great hornpipes written by the old masters, which IMO wouldn't be outa place in today's medleys. Duncan Johnstone, Tam Bain's Lum, Ina McKenzie to name a few these are all hold 'n cut, not round 100mph finger exercises.

I tend to agree with you on this Redneck. The bands you mention are long established well known bands in the folk scene. You will quite often here them playing the more "traditional" tunes at a decent tempo but not running away with it. Newer compositions at a quicker tempo are also nice. The word is CONTROL!
The tempo can also "sound" quicker but that is due (IMHO) to the other instruments available to such a group....guitars, banjos, accordians, etc, etc. Pipe bands do not (yet!!) have that capability in the circle. It is open to them in a concert situation but so far none of the top bands have used this to the full extent when giving a concert.

Pipe bands have indeed tried to further the "fast tempo" into their selections but unfortunately there are two things lacking. The other instruments and CONTROL.
Maybe if the modern pipe band learned one or two things about CONTROL then some of the drivel we hear today then it might still be drivel but at least it would more pleasant to the ear!!!

Fred Morrison can play "trad tunes" faster than the space shuttle leaves the earths orbit but he is still always in CONTROL.

I don't think it's the tunes, whether traditional or modern, I think it's all about CONTROL of the tune.

stormy
Member
Member

Registration date : 2007-10-13
Number of posts : 496

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Enter Band Name Here!!!!

Back to top Go down

.. Re: A medley

Post by stormy on Mon 13 Apr - 18:26:28

Gordy88 wrote:Im My Opinion, you cannot call youeself a competant piper, or even a musician, until you can master ALL the aspects of your instrument, How it works, maintenance, setting it up, care, cleaning, blowing, how reeds work, reading music to an acceptable standard, tuning it properly, WITHOUT A METER

All that and more.

Not quite the same words but that is the jist of what I said several times on another forum a few years ago.

Now I'm barred from that particular forum!!!!!


laughing laughing laughing

stormy
Member
Member

Registration date : 2007-10-13
Number of posts : 496

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Enter Band Name Here!!!!

Back to top Go down

.. Re: A medley

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum