Calendar Calendar

Keywords

A medley

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

.. Re: A medley

Post by John Ficken on Mon 13 Apr - 21:28:55

Yer a bunch of old cranks. Rolling Eyes

When I started in my chosen career, all that was needed to write a report was a No. 2 pencil and an eraser. Now, although we use computers, we still have and use those No. 2 pencils. The advent of the computer did not kill the need for pencils, it simply reduced the use.

Things change. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome. Or die out like the rest of the Dinos.

I'd think you'd all agree that you'd like to see piping carry on as an art form. For this to happen, the younger generation has to be interested in the art itself.

Sorry, but they're not interested in hearing century old tunes, unless it's the version done by the Dropkick Murphys. Suspect

Each of you has enough time and education on the pipes that you could be instructors. When these kids come to you, asking to be Eddie Van Halen band on the pipes, agree with them--offer to help them get there. Then show them what it takes to get there (for me, it's fighting through Scots Wha Hae--yet frakkin' again!!---and this time, don't crow the high "A", remember your timing, relax your hands--no death grip on the chanter, and do ye call THAT a t'row, Johnny?....).

In the end, when these young 'uns reach a band setting, and you hear them whizzing through so-and-so's "rubbish piece", remember they're doing it for the rock star in everyone--for the audience appeal, for the cheering crowds and the adulation, as well the competition feeling of "we OWN'd their asses out there!" Remember as well that they were taught by older instructors, and if it was done right, they can also slow down and play the classics. The reduction of the use of a classic piece of music does not reduce the need for it to be available.

Piping is an ancient sport; an ancient art. If you want it to continue to survive and even thrive in the iPod world, then it has to be pushed in different directions and expanded in scope to reach a wider and more modern audience. The other option is to die out and eventually be harvested for our oil.
John Ficken

Registration date : 2009-04-10
Number of posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Redneck on Mon 13 Apr - 21:44:27

Just another we thought here, John 'n I were talking on Skype today. Tempos came into the conversation regarding what's too fast 'n visa versa.

Drumlough play Hugh Kennedy, a march I'd good success with way back in my solo days. The tempo the band plays it at is much faster than I'd like to play the march as a solo piece,........why is it bands play a more up beat tempo, compared to the way IMO, the tune should be played. ( I don't mean a slow droll either )

Would / should a judge knock a band for playing such a style?.
Redneck

Registration date : 2007-10-13
Number of posts : 2051

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Drumlough pipe band N.Ireland 3A

http://Drumlough Pipe Band 3A ( fer now ) N.Ireland

Back to top Go down

Post by scots wa hae on Mon 13 Apr - 22:02:50

Redneck wrote:Just another we thought here, John 'n I were talking on Skype today. Tempos came into the conversation regarding what's too fast 'n visa versa.

Drumlough play Hugh Kennedy, a march I'd good success with way back in my solo days. The tempo the band plays it at is much faster than I'd like to play the march as a solo piece,........why is it bands play a more up beat tempo, compared to the way IMO, the tune should be played. ( I don't mean a slow droll either )

Would / should a judge knock a band for playing such a style?.

Aye thats true! I slowed all the comp sets down a tad tonight and by god the were stunning. There is definatley a fine line btween playing a tune briskly and playing a tune fast.

scots wa hae

Registration date : 2009-01-31
Number of posts : 64

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by stormy on Tue 14 Apr - 12:34:28

John Ficken wrote:Yer a bunch of old cranks.......When these kids come to you, asking to be Eddie Van Halen on the pipes, agree with them--offer to help them get there. Then show them what it takes to get there

Old crank , yes I am.
Young kids wanting to do "rock" on the pipes, more than willing to help them out.

Problem - young kids do not want to learn the basics which us old cranks have. They want to get straight in there and it can't be done.

Les Dawson was fantastic at playing the piano out of tune, he could not do that without being an accomplished pianist and knowing the basics!!!

stormy

Number of posts : 496

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Enter Band Name Here!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by stormy on Tue 14 Apr - 12:46:55

Redneck wrote:Drumlough play Hugh Kennedy, a march I'd good success with way back in my solo days. The tempo the band plays it at is much faster than I'd like to play the march as a solo piece,........why is it bands play a more up beat tempo, compared to the way IMO, the tune should be played.

To try and answer I have the opinion that bands play to please the public whereas solo pipers play to please the judge and other knowledgeable pipers.
Solo pipers in my opinion tend to be very technically correct but do not bring out the music.

Personally I would rather listen to the music played with emotion than technical correctness with no musicality.

stormy

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by Redneck on Tue 14 Apr - 13:19:41

Oooops, here we go,...............bit contradictory there Stormy.

Surely no matter what tempo you play it at it has to be technically correct?, isn't that what the judges are listening for?.

Grips and gracings, hits and other embellishments need to be technically correct no matter what speed they are played at.

The point I'm trying to get across John is this.........a band that's playing at a higher tempo than a band that's playing a bit slower with more emphasis on the accent beats seems to be the trend nowadays.

Should the band playing slower be knocked?, now we are not talking slow draggy tempos here, just a tad down in tempo.....the higher tempos seems to be pushed for by the drummers, can they not adapt their scores to suit rather than pushin' like fecccck fer higher tempos all the time?.
Redneck

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by stormy on Tue 14 Apr - 18:19:06

Redneck wrote:Oooops, here we go,...............bit contradictory there Stormy.

Surely no matter what tempo you play it at it has to be technically correct?, isn't that what the judges are listening for?.

Grips and gracings, hits and other embellishments need to be technically correct no matter what speed they are played at.

The point I'm trying to get across John is this.........a band that's playing at a higher tempo than a band that's playing a bit slower with more emphasis on the accent beats seems to be the trend nowadays.

Should the band playing slower be knocked?, now we are not talking slow draggy tempos here, just a tad down in tempo.....the higher tempos seems to be pushed for by the drummers, can they not adapt their scores to suit rather than pushin' like fecccck fer higher tempos all the time?.

Contradictory, well it depends on what you are looking / listening for.
100% technically correct with no music, or the odd wee mistake here and there but no musicallity?

Personally I want to hear the music.

stormy

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by Redneck on Tue 14 Apr - 20:39:22

Lol, Hmm ok m8, a think we are thinking about different things.......we'll continue this wee conversation in the beertent.

Good thread.
Redneck

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down