July 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Keywords

The Secret to Never Missing Technique

View previous topic View next topic Go down

.. The Secret to Never Missing Technique

Post by Reid on Tue 6 Nov - 23:54:11

I read this article on Michael Grey's website a while back. I have done the exercises and found it to me helpful. What do you guys think of it???

http://www.dunaber.com/2007/05/09/th...ing-technique/
Reid

Registration date : 2007-10-24
Number of posts : 177

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Alberta Caledonia

Back to top Go down

.. Re: The Secret to Never Missing Technique

Post by Dai Robb on Wed 7 Nov - 1:13:41

Welcome back Reid? thought you had done a runner :jigboy: Mutley
Dai Robb

Registration date : 2007-10-13
Number of posts : 1995

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Enter Band Name Here!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by stormy on Wed 7 Nov - 1:51:53

I think that there is more to technique than a "D" gracenote.

stormy

Number of posts : 496

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by Piping Connections on Wed 7 Nov - 2:27:09

Thanks Reid its the wee things that make the difference.
add it all up an enjoy playing better
Piping Connections

Number of posts : 1404

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: band !!! band !!!!!!!!! yer havin a laff

http://www.pipingconnections.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Reid on Wed 7 Nov - 3:17:13

Dai Robb wrote:Welcome back Reid? thought you had done a runner :jigboy: Mutley

I tried that running thing Dai and my heart rate increased and I started to sweat. Never again I tell ya.
Reid

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by Reid on Wed 7 Nov - 3:18:09

stormy wrote:I think that there is more to technique than a "D" gracenote.

Come on Stormy, you know it's all about the d gracenote and that's just about it.
Reid

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by Reid on Wed 7 Nov - 3:19:05

Piping Connections wrote:Thanks Reid its the wee things that make the difference.
add it all up an enjoy playing better

I agree, every little bit adds up.
Reid

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by stormy on Thu 8 Nov - 1:33:22

Reid wrote:

Come on Stormy, you know it's all about the d gracenote and that's just about it.

Are you being "tongue-in-cheek" or serious? My post was serious, hence no smilies.
Your truthful answer will have a considerable bearing on my future involvement with internet forums.

stormy

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by Reid on Thu 8 Nov - 4:03:26

stormy wrote:
Reid wrote:

Are you being "tongue-in-cheek" or serious? My post was serious, hence no smilies.
Your truthful answer will have a considerable bearing on my future involvement with internet forums.

No pressure here huh??? I can't imagine my response would be your continuation or end all to involvement in forums. Why would you make that kind of decision because of me???

Anyways, my answer war partial tongue-in-cheek. Is there ever only one aspect in any part of life let alone piping that can guarantee perfection or greatness??? I donít think so. However I do agree with Michael Grey on this one. How many embellishments have a big fat d gracenote stuck in the middle of it. I had practice what was mentioned in the article and found that it did indeed help. Now was that the placebo effect with Michael suggesting it helps or the actually exercise itself???
Reid

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by Redneck on Thu 8 Nov - 21:40:02

Reid m8, IMHO...........it was the sheer fact that you practised yer embellishments.

This is a wee fact 'n true, even now I'll use exercises to loosen up the fingers, especially in closed season when not as much piping is done.

Sometimes it's scary how much you take for granted m8. Tape yourself playin'.......play it back........re-record after ya pick faults, do this about 4-6 times. Listen to the first recording....go straight to the last.

There should be a vast difference between the two if done correctly.

This is down to practise.........not some placebo effect.

Here again IMO........too many people listen to so called experts ( not knocking Michael in any way, superb player imo ) far too much and take bad advice via Internet super pipers, Reid, you sorta answered the question you posed yourself.......it was the exercise/practise.......not Michael Grey, but yourself.

Wee bit of friendly and honest advice Reid, be hyper critical of yourself and practise accordingly, if need be go to an accomplished tutor 'n leave it at that.
What works for one will not always work fer someone else.

Pint
Redneck

Number of posts : 2051

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Drumlough pipe band N.Ireland 3A

http://Drumlough Pipe Band 3A ( fer now ) N.Ireland

Back to top Go down

Post by Reid on Thu 8 Nov - 22:12:05

Great post, thanks m8. You are right with the taping yourself. It's been a while since I've done it. I'm going to have to get it back in to my regime. I've got a pretty good tutor Sean Somers p/s with Alberta Caledonia. This will be my first season with him as my tutor. I've made some good strides over the past season but I still have miles to go.

Thanks for the advice.
Reid

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by stormy on Thu 8 Nov - 22:33:05

Reid wrote:I can't imagine my response would be your continuation or end all to involvement in forums

Believe me, it has got to that point.

.......Is there ever only one aspect in any part of life let alone piping that can guarantee perfection or greatness??? I donít think so. However I do agree with Michael Grey on this one. How many embellishments have a big fat d gracenote stuck in the middle of it.

You are correct in that there is not one aspect in anything which provides perfection or greatness. Many things taken together are involved. I took from the link (which I read in detail) that good technique was the result of having a good D gracenote and felt that you agreed with this. My point was, and you also appear to agree with this, was that technique is much more than having a good D gracenote.

Doublings, grips, triplets all have a D gracenote. Why do you consider this particular movement (a simple D gracenote) to be big and fat? Are the other gracenotes available to you not exactly the same but using a different finger?
After learning the scale the next basic excercise is the scale with gracenotes. It is at this stage that you learn how to play a gracenote properly and not at a later stage. Doing simple excercises is most certainly the way to go but if you have not learned the basic excercise properly to begin with then in my opinion you continue to do these excercises to no avail.

Maybe I've picked up on this in entirely the wrong perspective but I did get the impression that the article meant that one particular gracenote would provide good technique. In that, I disagree. Good technique involves much more.

:pig:

stormy

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by Reid on Thu 8 Nov - 23:10:38

stormy wrote:

Doublings, grips, triplets all have a D gracenote. Why do you consider this particular movement (a simple D gracenote) to be big and fat? Are the other gracenotes available to you not exactly the same but using a different finger?
After learning the scale the next basic excercise is the scale with gracenotes. It is at this stage that you learn how to play a gracenote properly and not at a later stage. Doing simple excercises is most certainly the way to go but if you have not learned the basic excercise properly to begin with then in my opinion you continue to do these excercises to no avail.

I agree without the basics you are really fighting an up hill battle. My case for liking this exercise might be a little different then others. I completely severed one of the tendons in my right hand a couple of years ago. Once I started piping again, I did notice that my embellishments were coming out crushed at times. The level of consistency was not there. Doing the exercises / repetition has helped.

stormy wrote:

Maybe I've picked up on this in entirely the wrong perspective but I did get the impression that the article meant that one particular gracenote would provide good technique. In that, I disagree. Good technique involves much more.

:pig:

Great technique does involve a lot more, but I do feel that paying attention to the little things can take you to bigger places.

Stormy never take me too seriously. God knows I don't take myself to seriously most of the time.
Reid

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 14 Nov - 19:44:38

From me... a mere humble creten of a drummer...

"So, when it comes to bagpipe music, itís ďall technique all the timeĒ. With nine notes, no rests, no sharps, no flats, no dynamics, technique is pretty much all we have to create rhythm. "

Technique to create rhythm?
That's where we drummers come in handy and punch out the notes.

Like I keep saying, we are the chicken and you are the bones. And we are not all deaf dolts and can appreciate a well-played tune.

In my ever-so humble drumming opinion.
I do own a chanter and from time to time take a blow on it to appreciate what you are doing.

We have one head and two sticks and we need to produce a myriad of sounds so you can put the flesh on our bones.

I think the more I hear rudiments and practices, the better my ear becomes. And then the better I play.

My dad always says: 10% inspiration and 90% persperation. That's what makes a good idea a reality.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top