Piping Connections
PRETTY IN PINK
Latest topics
» PINK AGAIN!!
Tue 12 Jan - 17:37:19 by Gordy88

» 2010 Happ New Year All!!!!
Thu 7 Jan - 0:05:24 by Chiddy

» Please Read!!
Sun 9 Aug - 14:05:38 by True_Blue_Piper

» draw for cowal
Sun 9 Aug - 13:46:20 by shortstuff

» Two days early. lol
Sun 9 Aug - 13:08:03 by Dai Robb

» MG drone reeds
Sun 9 Aug - 2:02:22 by True_Blue_Piper

» Bag worth a try!!
Sat 8 Aug - 18:16:26 by Werepiper

» Countdown Counter
Wed 29 Jul - 14:50:42 by Heilan Mary

» RSPBA exams
Tue 28 Jul - 16:55:42 by Gordy88

» Wallace Bagpipes, Piping on the Clyde III
Mon 27 Jul - 10:13:32 by Redneck

 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 Profile
 FAQ
 Search
July 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
     12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31      

Calendar Calendar

Keywords


New Grade 1 Band

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

.. New Grade 1 Band

Post by wee_fee-Fee on Thu 17 Jan - 0:40:18

http://www.pipesdrums.com/Contents.aspx?M=News&AT=News&AID=16019

What u all think of this then? Should be interesting hearing them all tune up. lot of good solo talent...
avatar
wee_fee-Fee
Member
Member

Registration date : 2007-10-15
Number of posts : 630
Age : 32

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Boghall & Bathgate Pipe Band

http://www.boghallandbathgate.com

Back to top Go down

.. Re: New Grade 1 Band

Post by Piping Connections on Thu 17 Jan - 1:07:24

Interseting !!!!
Certainly worth the watching !!
avatar
Piping Connections
Member
Member

Registration date : 2007-10-13
Number of posts : 1404
Age : 53

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: band !!! band !!!!!!!!! yer havin a laff

http://www.pipingconnections.com

Back to top Go down

.. Re: New Grade 1 Band

Post by True_Blue_Piper on Thu 17 Jan - 3:45:55

The redux version of the City of Edinburgh Police, Invergordon Distillery or British Caledonian Airways ?
avatar
True_Blue_Piper
Member
Member

Registration date : 2007-10-13
Number of posts : 2002

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Elastic Band

Back to top Go down

.. Re: New Grade 1 Band

Post by Gordy88 on Thu 17 Jan - 12:48:58

Piping Connections wrote:Interseting !!!!
Certainly worth the watching !!


Or even hearing ??

laughing
avatar
Gordy88
Member
Member

Registration date : 2007-10-18
Number of posts : 1142
Age : 52

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Geoghegan Memorial

http://www.professionalpiperhire.com

Back to top Go down

.. Re: New Grade 1 Band

Post by True_Blue_Piper on Thu 17 Jan - 12:54:54

trouble is....having a load of superb solo players together....doesn't necessarily make the best band.

Time will tell.....certainly something well worthy of watching (or hearing lol) out for.

The story certainly makes a VERY WELCOME change to the SFU / Triumph Street saga.
avatar
True_Blue_Piper
Member
Member

Registration date : 2007-10-13
Number of posts : 2002

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Elastic Band

Back to top Go down

.. Re: New Grade 1 Band

Post by Heilan Mary on Thu 17 Jan - 13:47:01

Hmm that is interesting. Wonder who all the drumcore will be.
avatar
Heilan Mary
Member
Member

Registration date : 2007-10-12
Number of posts : 703
Age : 38

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Mauchline & District Caledonia

Back to top Go down

.. Re: New Grade 1 Band

Post by Piping Connections on Thu 17 Jan - 15:54:07

[quote="Gordy88"]
Piping Connections wrote:Interseting !!!!
Certainly worth the watching !!


Or even hearing ??

laughing[/quote



Damn!!! Hate when i get caught like that !!! laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing
avatar
Piping Connections
Member
Member

Registration date : 2007-10-13
Number of posts : 1404
Age : 53

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: band !!! band !!!!!!!!! yer havin a laff

http://www.pipingconnections.com

Back to top Go down

.. Re: New Grade 1 Band

Post by Reid on Thu 17 Jan - 17:22:31

Hopfully the get up and running. It will be interesting to see what happens.
avatar
Reid
Member
Member

Registration date : 2007-10-24
Number of posts : 177
Age : 41

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Alberta Caledonia

Back to top Go down

.. Re: New Grade 1 Band

Post by stormy on Thu 17 Jan - 20:19:39

True_Blue_Piper wrote:trouble is....having a load of superb solo players together....doesn't necessarily make the best band.

Very true, as has been proved in the past.

Even these guys will have trouble "coming together" as a G1 band should without 2 practices per week between now and the worlds in August.
Some players will have some lengthy "commutes" in order to attend these practices.

stormy
Member
Member

Registration date : 2007-10-13
Number of posts : 496

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Enter Band Name Here!!!!

Back to top Go down

.. Re: New Grade 1 Band

Post by bondy on Sat 19 Jan - 0:18:11

Could be absolutely brill or just average, When Roddy had the Power it was a who's who and never really clicked to the level that everyone thought it should. That being said most of the big band do not get "full" practices that often. Not sur if flexy time will give them a real shot at the top of the grade though should be interesting listening and watching
avatar
bondy
Member
Member

Registration date : 2007-10-30
Number of posts : 131
Age : 44

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Grampian Police

Back to top Go down

.. Re: New Grade 1 Band

Post by True_Blue_Piper on Sat 19 Jan - 1:42:59

B Cal got right up there but never quite managed to take "the big one", similarly with Invergordon. Both bands had some superb solo pipers (and drummers) during their reign....what has this new band got....or what is it going to do.....that is different ?

And these bands has superb drummers.....as HM says, haven't heard anything on the drumming side about this new lot.

During the great years of the likes of the 80s Strathclyde Police, the 60s Edinburgh and Glasgow Polis and the great eras of Shotts and Dysart, yes, there were some superb soloists in these bands...but the main thing was they had was a large core of committed, quality band players who didn't just turn up for one or two seasons and then move on elsewhere.

At any rate, it will be very interesting to see what transpires.

f.y.i.....I have heard that there is another band which may enter the competition arena this year (grade 3A ?).....the Scottish Branch of the Scots Guards Association. Needless-to-say. numerous ex SG players....and including former SG PipeMajors : - Jimmy Banks, Brian Donaldson, Sandy Davidson and Paul Selwood.


Last edited by on Sat 19 Jan - 3:52:51; edited 3 times in total
avatar
True_Blue_Piper
Member
Member

Registration date : 2007-10-13
Number of posts : 2002

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Elastic Band

Back to top Go down

.. Re: New Grade 1 Band

Post by Itchyknee on Sat 19 Jan - 1:44:58

Like HM says, who's in the drum corps? It is a pipe BAND competition. It's not all about the caliber of pipers. I'd prefer to hear the pipers individually!

rabbit
avatar
Itchyknee
Member
Member

Registration date : 2007-10-13
Number of posts : 139
Age : 109

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Enter Band Name Here!!!!

Back to top Go down

.. Re: New Grade 1 Band

Post by Piping Connections on Sat 19 Jan - 4:21:02

True_Blue_Piper wrote:
f.y.i.....I have heard that there is another band which may enter the competition arena this year (grade 3A ?).....the Scottish Branch of the Scots Guards Association. Needless-to-say. numerous ex SG players....and including former SG PipeMajors : - Jimmy Banks, Brian Donaldson, Sandy Davidson and Paul Selwood.

They are looking at Grade 2 Ron but really struggling with drummers, I heard Coalburn drum corps were going to jump in but the travelling distances for some drummers was too much, I hope they get something of the ground as Edinburgh needs another top grade Band....
avatar
Piping Connections
Member
Member

Registration date : 2007-10-13
Number of posts : 1404
Age : 53

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: band !!! band !!!!!!!!! yer havin a laff

http://www.pipingconnections.com

Back to top Go down

.. Re: New Grade 1 Band

Post by True_Blue_Piper on Sat 19 Jan - 4:27:03

Superb.......when Jimmy was out here a month or so ago, he mentioned to me; that with the Manchester band, Dixie's lot in London and the Scottish branch combined...they could field over 50 pipers, all in identical outfits.

Certainly hope they enter the field this year....as you say, it would be great to see some more top bands in the Edinburgh area......

after all.......it's about time that all them pipe band folks "west of Broxburn"....whether 5 miles west or 8000 miles west......were taken down a peg or two....! piper
avatar
True_Blue_Piper
Member
Member

Registration date : 2007-10-13
Number of posts : 2002

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Elastic Band

Back to top Go down

.. Re: New Grade 1 Band

Post by Dai Robb on Sat 19 Jan - 14:09:10

Just looking at your Avatar there Ron, "ye were a good looking wee boy then"


WHAT HAPPENED? laughing laughing
avatar
Dai Robb
Member
Member

Registration date : 2007-10-13
Number of posts : 1995
Age : 80

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Enter Band Name Here!!!!

Back to top Go down

.. Re: New Grade 1 Band

Post by True_Blue_Piper on Sat 19 Jan - 16:03:01

"then".......bugger aff No
avatar
True_Blue_Piper
Member
Member

Registration date : 2007-10-13
Number of posts : 2002

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Elastic Band

Back to top Go down

.. Re: New Grade 1 Band

Post by Gordy88 on Sat 19 Jan - 20:23:41

Piping Connections wrote:
True_Blue_Piper wrote:
f.y.i.....I have heard that there is another band which may enter the competition arena this year (grade 3A ?).....the Scottish Branch of the Scots Guards Association. Needless-to-say. numerous ex SG players....and including former SG PipeMajors : - Jimmy Banks, Brian Donaldson, Sandy Davidson and Paul Selwood.

They are looking at Grade 2 Ron but really struggling with drummers, I heard Coalburn drum corps were going to jump in but the travelling distances for some drummers was too much, I hope they get something of the ground as Edinburgh needs another top grade Band....

Another??

Didn't realise they had one !

laughing laughing
avatar
Gordy88
Member
Member

Registration date : 2007-10-18
Number of posts : 1142
Age : 52

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Geoghegan Memorial

http://www.professionalpiperhire.com

Back to top Go down

.. Re: New Grade 1 Band

Post by Piping Connections on Sat 19 Jan - 23:54:58

Gordy88 wrote:
Piping Connections wrote:
True_Blue_Piper wrote:
f.y.i.....I have heard that there is another band which may enter the competition arena this year (grade 3A ?).....the Scottish Branch of the Scots Guards Association. Needless-to-say. numerous ex SG players....and including former SG PipeMajors : - Jimmy Banks, Brian Donaldson, Sandy Davidson and Paul Selwood.

They are looking at Grade 2 Ron but really struggling with drummers, I heard Coalburn drum corps were going to jump in but the travelling distances for some drummers was too much, I hope they get something of the ground as Edinburgh needs another top grade Band....

Another??

Didn't realise they had one !

laughing laughing


laughing laughing laughing laughing Yer Cairds marked Gordy laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing
avatar
Piping Connections
Member
Member

Registration date : 2007-10-13
Number of posts : 1404
Age : 53

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: band !!! band !!!!!!!!! yer havin a laff

http://www.pipingconnections.com

Back to top Go down

.. Re: New Grade 1 Band

Post by True_Blue_Piper on Sun 20 Jan - 2:13:47

aye, well marked.....Richard, I've got him tagged as just another of them scumbags from west o' Broxburn....
avatar
True_Blue_Piper
Member
Member

Registration date : 2007-10-13
Number of posts : 2002

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Elastic Band

Back to top Go down

.. Re: New Grade 1 Band

Post by True_Blue_Piper on Sun 20 Jan - 13:08:59

@ Stormy, I just had a look at the original Piper & Drummer Magazine website article. I note that Wilson Brown is mentioned as being one of the pipers. I presume that is the person of the same name (Strathclyde Polis) who we "PM'd" about a few months back.

His brother is also a piper and a good friend and colleague in HK.

Think it's time I got the brother in for some interrogation re. name of the new band and if I really, really have to.....some idea re. the drummers.... laughing
avatar
True_Blue_Piper
Member
Member

Registration date : 2007-10-13
Number of posts : 2002

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Elastic Band

Back to top Go down

.. Re: New Grade 1 Band

Post by Gordy88 on Sun 20 Jan - 13:10:24

True_Blue_Piper wrote:aye, well marked.....Richard, I've got him tagged as just another of them scumbags from west o' Broxburn....

Well West and Proud of it,

True Blue, to coin a phrase

laughing laughing laughing
avatar
Gordy88
Member
Member

Registration date : 2007-10-18
Number of posts : 1142
Age : 52

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Geoghegan Memorial

http://www.professionalpiperhire.com

Back to top Go down

.. Re: New Grade 1 Band

Post by stormy on Sun 20 Jan - 14:10:35

True_Blue_Piper wrote:@ Stormy, I just had a look at the original Piper & Drummer Magazine website article. I note that Wilson Brown is mentioned as being one of the pipers. I presume that is the person of the same name (Strathclyde Polis) who we "PM'd" about a few months back.

His brother is also a piper and a good friend and colleague in HK.

Think it's time I got the brother in for some interrogation re. name of the new band and if I really, really have to.....some idea re. the drummers.... laughing

When I first read the article I also took it to be the same Wilson Brown that I played in the polis with. Last I saw him was around March / April last year. Good luck to him but he shouldn't look for another 6-in-a-row!!! laughing

stormy
Member
Member

Registration date : 2007-10-13
Number of posts : 496

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Enter Band Name Here!!!!

Back to top Go down

.. Re: New Grade 1 Band

Post by True_Blue_Piper on Sun 20 Jan - 15:17:20

I'll have to get his brother into the interrogation room.....is "waterboarding" still considered OK ? laughing
avatar
True_Blue_Piper
Member
Member

Registration date : 2007-10-13
Number of posts : 2002

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Elastic Band

Back to top Go down

.. Re: New Grade 1 Band

Post by Gordy88 on Sun 20 Jan - 15:41:07

True_Blue_Piper wrote:I'll have to get his brother into the interrogation room.....is "waterboarding" still considered OK ? laughing

No bother at all, waterboarding is fine, just nip him over to the US,

If that doesn't work, try indefinite detention without trial, searches without warrants or probable cause, financial inspection without warrant, don't worry about Habeus Corpus or the Bill of rights. Ordinary Americans don't seem to have these rights anymore.

And if all else fails, just shoot him.

Very politically irate today, more Bacardi please

Cheers
avatar
Gordy88
Member
Member

Registration date : 2007-10-18
Number of posts : 1142
Age : 52

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Geoghegan Memorial

http://www.professionalpiperhire.com

Back to top Go down

.. Re: New Grade 1 Band

Post by stormy on Sun 20 Jan - 20:29:24

True_Blue_Piper wrote:I'll have to get his brother into the interrogation room.....is "waterboarding" still considered OK ? laughing

As long as there is no CCTV then a good kick in the bollocks will do just fine! laughing

stormy
Member
Member

Registration date : 2007-10-13
Number of posts : 496

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Enter Band Name Here!!!!

Back to top Go down

.. Re: New Grade 1 Band

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum