Piping Connections
PRETTY IN PINK

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Piping Connections
PRETTY IN PINK
Piping Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» PINK AGAIN!!
Ouch! EmptyTue 12 Jan - 17:37:19 by Gordy88

» 2010 Happ New Year All!!!!
Ouch! EmptyThu 7 Jan - 0:05:24 by Chiddy

» Please Read!!
Ouch! EmptySun 9 Aug - 14:05:38 by True_Blue_Piper

» draw for cowal
Ouch! EmptySun 9 Aug - 13:46:20 by shortstuff

» Two days early. lol
Ouch! EmptySun 9 Aug - 13:08:03 by Dai Robb

» MG drone reeds
Ouch! EmptySun 9 Aug - 2:02:22 by True_Blue_Piper

» Bag worth a try!!
Ouch! EmptySat 8 Aug - 18:16:26 by Werepiper

» Countdown Counter
Ouch! EmptyWed 29 Jul - 14:50:42 by Heilan Mary

» RSPBA exams
Ouch! EmptyTue 28 Jul - 16:55:42 by Gordy88

» Wallace Bagpipes, Piping on the Clyde III
Ouch! EmptyMon 27 Jul - 10:13:32 by Redneck

Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Keywords

Ouch!

+3
DavidH
Gordy88
Heilan Mary
7 posters

Go down

Ouch! Empty Ouch!

Post by Heilan Mary Thu 3 Apr - 13:15:32

Hi! I am wondering if any of you snare or tenor drummers get back ache while standing with your drum on? I had my tenor drum on for the 1st time in about 5 months last night and within about 5 mins I had to take the drum off again as I had pain in the lower half of my back and had to take the drum off after each set that we played. I am wondering if any of the rest of yaes have this or is it me that is passed their sell by date. lol laughing
Heilan Mary
Heilan Mary

Registration date : 2007-10-12
Number of posts : 703

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Mauchline & District Caledonia

Back to top Go down

Ouch! Empty Re: Ouch!

Post by Gordy88 Thu 3 Apr - 16:42:40

Put another one on Backways,

That should level you up!!
laughing
Gordy88
Gordy88

Registration date : 2007-10-18
Number of posts : 1142

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Geoghegan Memorial

http://www.professionalpiperhire.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidH Thu 3 Apr - 16:56:18

Yes, Gillian, all the time. Even my young drummers find they have to set the snares and tenors down every once in a while to rest their backs. I bought a Hoss sling with a waist belt a couple of years ago and that helped a lot. Also, at practices I usually wear one of those lumbar supports that labourers use.
DavidH
DavidH

Registration date : 2007-10-13
Number of posts : 203

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Enter Band Name Here!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by True_Blue_Piper Thu 3 Apr - 17:11:57

it may be caused by irregular caravaning....... :D
True_Blue_Piper
True_Blue_Piper

Number of posts : 2002

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Elastic Band

Back to top Go down

Post by Heilan Mary Thu 3 Apr - 18:53:11

Naughty Naughty!!!!! laughing
Heilan Mary
Heilan Mary

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by Redneck Thu 3 Apr - 20:47:05

Use yer over shoulder boulder holder...might gi ya more support than yer drum sling...... big grin Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Ha ha
Redneck
Redneck

Number of posts : 2051

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Drumlough pipe band N.Ireland 3A

http://Drumlough Pipe Band 3A ( fer now ) N.Ireland

Back to top Go down

Post by janelle Fri 4 Apr - 1:33:57

Heilan Mary wrote:Hi! I am wondering if any of you snare or tenor drummers get back ache while standing with your drum on? I had my tenor drum on for the 1st time in about 5 months last night and within about 5 mins I had to take the drum off again as I had pain in the lower half of my back and had to take the drum off after each set that we played. I am wondering if any of the rest of yaes have this or is it me that is passed their sell by date. lol laughing

I have 20 years on you and I have the same problem, but as David pointed out even the young ones suffer with the same thing. I use an old fashion single shoulder strap. I have a double strap but found it wasn't really any better. The problem is because we have to stand with our shoulders back and not aligned with our hips which puts pressure on the lower back.
I've found a few things that do help. Put the drum down every chance you get. When actually in the circle or standing in ranks, when the drum can't be put down, remember to realign your shoulders when not playing. Take the weight of the drum off your shoulders and leg by lifting it slightly with your left hand, that way you can stop leaning backwards slightly , (as we do).
When playing, try and remember to keep your tummy muscles tight and your pelvis tilted forward slightly (no tacky comment form you lot thank you) this will help support your back muscles, but it's easier said than done. If you practice this all the time as you go about your day, as we woman all should LOL, it becomes easier.
If you are really keen or it's a major problem, the best solution is tummy crunch exercises to strenghthen you stomach muscles which in turn support your lower back. Also some back exercises will help. Most tenor drummer who practice regularly don't need shoulder exercises.
Redneck is too far off the mark either, ha ha, a good crossover sports bra, will help support your upper body which has a chain reaction effect and will also help.

But if your using a harness and not a strap, then sorry I got no idea, as I've never used one. laughing
janelle
janelle

Number of posts : 921

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Queensland Country Pipe Band

Back to top Go down

Post by jayat Fri 4 Apr - 2:40:11

Gordy88 Gees put another one on backwards then she'd have to play with Irish sticks you twirl them backwards.
Gillian i only had that problem when standing at attention for dress judging i think the problem is your posture
Janelle's idea of leaning forward sounds like the answer...( I hope this is'nt the excuse to retire just joking )

jayat

Registration date : 2008-01-23
Number of posts : 54

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidH Fri 4 Apr - 5:18:32

Janelle, I also have an old fashioned single shoulder sling and it kills me to wear it now. The advantage of having the waist belt is that it holds the drum much closer to the body, probably 4" or more, so the eccentric force is less. It's easily explained if you understand mechanics.

After using the Hossbilt sling for a few weeks, I tried the old one just to see how if felt and managed one set before I gave up. I swear by mine. Also, it's easy to wear under my uniform vest, as I was taugh to do, as the clip is tight to the waist so doesn't stretch the vest out the way a single sling does.
DavidH
DavidH

Number of posts : 203

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by Heilan Mary Mon 7 Apr - 12:18:28

Thanks guys will take these suggestions on board.
Heilan Mary
Heilan Mary

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by janelle Mon 7 Apr - 15:21:43

DavidH wrote:Janelle, I also have an old fashioned single shoulder sling and it kills me to wear it now. The advantage of having the waist belt is that it holds the drum much closer to the body, probably 4" or more, so the eccentric force is less. It's easily explained if you understand mechanics........................................

I always wear my sling inside my waist belt.
janelle
janelle

Number of posts : 921

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Queensland Country Pipe Band

Back to top Go down

Post by Heilan Mary Tue 15 Apr - 12:12:12

Well, another practice down and still getting back ache. Have tried putting my drum down at every opportunity I get and even tried standing differently and the leaning forward. One of the other girls says it could be the sling I am using for the drum. I have had to order a lumber support and will give that a try and hopefully that will work.
Heilan Mary
Heilan Mary

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: