Piping Connections
PRETTY IN PINK

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Piping Connections
PRETTY IN PINK
Piping Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» PINK AGAIN!!
Predictions for G1 at The Scottish - Page 2 EmptyTue 12 Jan - 17:37:19 by Gordy88

» 2010 Happ New Year All!!!!
Predictions for G1 at The Scottish - Page 2 EmptyThu 7 Jan - 0:05:24 by Chiddy

» Please Read!!
Predictions for G1 at The Scottish - Page 2 EmptySun 9 Aug - 14:05:38 by True_Blue_Piper

» draw for cowal
Predictions for G1 at The Scottish - Page 2 EmptySun 9 Aug - 13:46:20 by shortstuff

» Two days early. lol
Predictions for G1 at The Scottish - Page 2 EmptySun 9 Aug - 13:08:03 by Dai Robb

» MG drone reeds
Predictions for G1 at The Scottish - Page 2 EmptySun 9 Aug - 2:02:22 by True_Blue_Piper

» Bag worth a try!!
Predictions for G1 at The Scottish - Page 2 EmptySat 8 Aug - 18:16:26 by Werepiper

» Countdown Counter
Predictions for G1 at The Scottish - Page 2 EmptyWed 29 Jul - 14:50:42 by Heilan Mary

» RSPBA exams
Predictions for G1 at The Scottish - Page 2 EmptyTue 28 Jul - 16:55:42 by Gordy88

» Wallace Bagpipes, Piping on the Clyde III
Predictions for G1 at The Scottish - Page 2 EmptyMon 27 Jul - 10:13:32 by Redneck

Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Keywords

Predictions for G1 at The Scottish

+7
shortstuff
True_Blue_Piper
orange_wings
Heilan Mary
Dai Robb
Gordy88
Piping Connections
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Predictions for G1 at The Scottish - Page 2 Empty Re: Predictions for G1 at The Scottish

Post by Heilan Mary Wed 6 May - 12:01:53

Aw man I give up. surrender gah I'm saying no more. AlthoughI have looked back in the previous posts and I have not been the only one that has predicited the result without giving an explanation of why. So why needle me over it? Also a predicition means an insight in to what happens - it either happens or it doesnt happens, a bit like a horoscope.

Last edited by Heilan Mary on Wed 6 May - 12:51:48; edited 1 time in total
Heilan Mary
Heilan Mary

Registration date : 2007-10-12
Number of posts : 703

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Mauchline & District Caledonia

Back to top Go down

Predictions for G1 at The Scottish - Page 2 Empty Re: Predictions for G1 at The Scottish

Post by Redneck Wed 6 May - 12:28:36

Good points raised on both sides of the coin here. My views would be what I'd like rather than a full blown attempt to try and predict who'll win.

That in my eyes is stupid. We haven't heard an E blown yet so to actually say who'll win is silly, but to go on the form is also silly. The bands will have changed a lot over the winter.

So my predictions would probably reflect what I'd want rather than what will probably happen on the day.

Word has it that the new FMM medley is outstanding, their best ever.....so, if that's the case and as Fiona has pointed out regarding their sound god help the resta the grade.

Boghall have been improving gradually year by year, quite capable of lifting a title.

SLOT.....great sound tight playing, also been improving year on year.

They would be my best bets along wi the SPPB to be the 4 fighting for top honours.

Like Fiona I too would like to see Poacha'coan get a mention.

There's one thing is fer sure. The bands I've chosen IMO will be the main ones to beat.
Redneck
Redneck

Registration date : 2007-10-13
Number of posts : 2051

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Drumlough pipe band N.Ireland 3A

http://Drumlough Pipe Band 3A ( fer now ) N.Ireland

Back to top Go down

Post by wee_fee-Fee Wed 6 May - 12:41:46

It's MSR for us at the Scottish Iain. Will need to wait a bit for an airing of FMM's medley. Smile
wee_fee-Fee
wee_fee-Fee

Registration date : 2007-10-15
Number of posts : 630

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Boghall & Bathgate Pipe Band

http://www.boghallandbathgate.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Piping Connections Wed 6 May - 13:23:46

well ime enjoying this - its the busiest post for ages - thanks guys
Gillian ah didnae think oanybody was picking on you - please keep posting !!!

And predictions as always is just for fun - theres a lot of who you would like to see win it - perhaps we should post who we would personally like to see win it !!!!!!!!!! k gonna run n hide now lol
Piping Connections
Piping Connections

Number of posts : 1404

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: band !!! band !!!!!!!!! yer havin a laff

http://www.pipingconnections.com

Back to top Go down

Post by True_Blue_Piper Wed 6 May - 17:47:17

I for one would love to see Boghall getting out of the 'also rans' and getting up there in the top three, likewise with the Scottish Power.

Both bands have been on the go for years and have done their time......and produce some excellent stuff.

Lets just hope that they do so 'on the day' and that the judges will go that extra mile to let them into the picture, rather than the usual lot.

Sound sarcastic?

Maybe so, but the top boys have made enough mistakes over the years and it's time that things were done properly and fairly.

By coincidence I was listening earlier tonight to a cd by Boghall and they were playing The Highland Wedding......ok....the tune's been played to death but they were playing an old setting and it was nice to hear.

p.s. to get away from the subject slightly, I know that many are sick of listening/playing the Highland Cathedral/ Susan Mcleod etc. etc. and use that as an excuse to say why medleys are so important, but I have in front of me about 100 books of bagpipe music and within them there must be hundreds and hundreds of competiton marches/strathspeys/reels that are simply not played......why not? Some are great tunes, but sadlty forgotten or just not considered fashionable.

And yet,i f those of you in G1 bands were to play these tunes again....they'd very quickly become fashionable!

Rant, moan, groan.......

I'm hoping to see Boghall and the Power get up there this year and I'd also like to see Fife Constabulary proving their worth. I'd also like to see the nigh-on-impossible......L & B Polis getting other than the wooden spoon !

Last edited by True_Blue_Piper on Thu 7 May - 4:26:29; edited 1 time in total
True_Blue_Piper
True_Blue_Piper

Number of posts : 2002

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Elastic Band

Back to top Go down

Post by wee_fee-Fee Wed 6 May - 18:57:38

Thanks Ron! We can only give it our best and hope for a fair placing. Smile

There are a lot of good marches. We are playing one of my favourites this year Tom McAlister and the other is Balmoral Highlanders. I like them both. Another favourite of mine is Captain Carswell which you don't really hear played now.
wee_fee-Fee
wee_fee-Fee

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by wee_fee-Fee Wed 6 May - 19:00:11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDGow_voYTo

This is Captain Carswell March
wee_fee-Fee
wee_fee-Fee

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by Dai Robb Wed 6 May - 19:40:24

Blimey your'e not asking for much Ron?? you have more chance of santa coming doon yer chimney??
Dai Robb
Dai Robb

Number of posts : 1995

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Enter Band Name Here!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy88 Wed 6 May - 20:15:40

Well said Ron,

As I have often said the same thing,

Fee, Tom Mac and Balmoral highlanders, IMO thats all the 2/4 marches you need.

Gillian, Please don't think anyones picking on you, keep posting and getting the boot in when you can, and If you're lucky, I'll buy you tea and a bun on saturday wave wave
Gordy88
Gordy88

Registration date : 2007-10-18
Number of posts : 1142

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Geoghegan Memorial

http://www.professionalpiperhire.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Heilan Mary Wed 6 May - 21:05:47

Aw excellent. Tea and a bun! How about a 1/2 guiness and a bag o crisps lol. piper Pint
Heilan Mary
Heilan Mary

Registration date : 2007-10-12
Number of posts : 703

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Mauchline & District Caledonia

Back to top Go down

Post by Redneck Wed 6 May - 21:15:19

wee_fee-Fee wrote:It's MSR for us at the Scottish Iain. Will need to wait a bit for an airing of FMM's medley. Smile

Cabbage moment, I know, cheers. Must be suffering from Ferry lag.
Redneck
Redneck

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by Redneck Wed 6 May - 21:19:33

Heilan Mary wrote:Aw excellent. Tea and a bun! How about a 1/2 guiness and a bag o crisps lol. piper Pint

What about a pint a Guinness 'n a bag a crisps. Laughing
Redneck
Redneck

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by orange_wings Wed 6 May - 21:23:35

Redneck wrote:
Heilan Mary wrote:Aw excellent. Tea and a bun! How about a 1/2 guiness and a bag o crisps lol. piper Pint

What about a pint a Guinness 'n a bag a crisps. Laughing

What about a pint a Guinness and......another pint a Guinness Pint Pint
orange_wings
orange_wings

Registration date : 2007-10-20
Number of posts : 155

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Boghall & Bathgate

Back to top Go down

Post by orange_wings Wed 6 May - 21:27:07

Heilan Mary wrote:Aw man I give up. surrender gah I'm saying no more. AlthoughI have looked back in the previous posts and I have not been the only one that has predicited the result without giving an explanation of why. So why needle me over it? Also a predicition means an insight in to what happens - it either happens or it doesnt happens, a bit like a horoscope.

Gillian, no one is picking on you... You were in fact the only person to make a 'prediction' without backing it up, hence, you have been challenged on that.

We are all adults here and a good bit of debate is healthy. No one is bullying anyone and I'm sure if Rich thought for one second there was then he'd step in and sort it.
orange_wings
orange_wings

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by Redneck Wed 6 May - 21:27:46

laughing laughing Pint Pint Pint yer spot on there ma man.
Redneck
Redneck

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by orange_wings Wed 6 May - 21:33:41

Redneck wrote:Good points raised on both sides of the coin here. My views would be what I'd like rather than a full blown attempt to try and predict who'll win.

That in my eyes is stupid. We haven't heard an E blown yet so to actually say who'll win is silly, but to go on the form is also silly. The bands will have changed a lot over the winter.

So my predictions would probably reflect what I'd want rather than what will probably happen on the day.

Word has it that the new FMM medley is outstanding, their best ever.....so, if that's the case and as Fiona has pointed out regarding their sound god help the resta the grade.

Boghall have been improving gradually year by year, quite capable of lifting a title.

They would be my best bets along wi the SPPB to be the 4 fighting for top honours.

There's one thing is fer sure. The bands I've chosen IMO will be the main ones to beat.

Good post Iain, and that is exactly the reason that I tend not to speculate on who I think will win. Normally 9 out of 10 people will give you the same answer for top 3 spots if you had to ask them and the reason for that would probably be that the top 3 have been the same for so long now that no one can really imagine it being any different. Obviously being in one of the bands mentioned I think it would be in bad taste for me to "predict" what I think will happen as it would obviously involve Boghall being somewhere in the top 3, because thats what I'd like to happen. So I couldn't make an honest prediction as my judgment would be clouded by the fact that I am predicting a place for the band I play in.
orange_wings
orange_wings

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie.Crow Wed 6 May - 23:13:00

1. T&B
2. L&B
3. Power
4. SLOT
5. SPPB
6. B&B

ye missed me??? big grin big grin
Robbie.Crow
Robbie.Crow

Number of posts : 1089

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Denny & Dunipace Pipe Band

http://www.robbiecrow.com

Back to top Go down

Post by True_Blue_Piper Thu 7 May - 4:30:15

orange_wings wrote:
Heilan Mary wrote:Aw man I give up. surrender gah I'm saying no more. AlthoughI have looked back in the previous posts and I have not been the only one that has predicited the result without giving an explanation of why. So why needle me over it? Also a predicition means an insight in to what happens - it either happens or it doesnt happens, a bit like a horoscope.

Gillian, no one is picking on you... You were in fact the only person to make a 'prediction' without backing it up, hence, you have been challenged on that.

We are all adults here and a good bit of debate is healthy. No one is bullying anyone and I'm sure if Rich thought for one second there was then he'd step in and sort it.

I'm not. TBP
True_Blue_Piper
True_Blue_Piper

Number of posts : 2002

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Elastic Band

Back to top Go down

Post by Piping Connections Thu 7 May - 10:00:05

You dont say - we wouldnt have guessed - come to think of it - theres not a lot of adults on here laughing laughing laughing
Piping Connections
Piping Connections

Number of posts : 1404

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: band !!! band !!!!!!!!! yer havin a laff

http://www.pipingconnections.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Redneck Thu 7 May - 11:09:12

orange_wings wrote:
Redneck wrote:Good points raised on both sides of the coin here. My views would be what I'd like rather than a full blown attempt to try and predict who'll win.

Good post Iain, and that is exactly the reason that I tend not to speculate on who I think will win. Normally 9 out of 10 people will give you the same answer for top 3 spots if you had to ask them and the reason for that would probably be that the top 3 have been the same for so long now that no one can really imagine it being any different. Obviously being in one of the bands mentioned I think it would be in bad taste for me to "predict" what I think will happen as it would obviously involve Boghall being somewhere in the top 3, because thats what I'd like to happen. So I couldn't make an honest prediction as my judgment would be clouded by the fact that I am predicting a place for the band I play in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cheers Peter, very good honest post. The thing is I've loads of close friends in all my choices, so my choice is maybe heart over what will probably happen.( only natural I suppose )

The choices I made have been done in the most logical way I could think of.

There's also a band I'd love to see get in the top 6 on a regular basis.....the Vale of Atholl, very underestimated band IMO, Power also on their best day can put up a good performance both worthy of getting into the top 6.

The thing is, even the top 4 have their on and off days nothing is written in stone and should be taken on merit on the day.

Far too often results IMO have been given favourably to certain bands, this has to stop, I fear we will never see 100% unbiased judging, but try not to make it so obvious.

The RSPBA of late have caused a lot of mistrust and unrest of late with some of their decisions and judges too have gave prizes jokingly to bands undeserved of their placings.

This year I hope all my friends have a good honest crack of the whip and get their just deserves.
Redneck
Redneck

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by Dai Robb Thu 7 May - 15:08:46

Piping Connections wrote:You dont say - we wouldnt have guessed - come to think of it - theres not a lot of adults on here laughing laughing laughing

In my case I only LOOK old? I am really just a kid??
Dai Robb
Dai Robb

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by wee_fee-Fee Thu 7 May - 15:14:59

Dai Robb wrote:
Piping Connections wrote:You dont say - we wouldnt have guessed - come to think of it - theres not a lot of adults on here laughing laughing laughing

In my case I only LOOK old? I am really just a kid??

Is that why you take afternoon naps Razz
wee_fee-Fee
wee_fee-Fee

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by Dai Robb Thu 7 May - 17:11:45

Your wee legs will get slapped?? when i see you laughing laughing
Dai Robb
Dai Robb

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by wee_fee-Fee Thu 7 May - 17:19:00

You sure you can bend over that far... wouldn't want you hurting your back now would we Razz lol
wee_fee-Fee
wee_fee-Fee

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by Dai Robb Thu 7 May - 17:23:37

Oh no worries I can bend oer all right? okay getting back up is a swine mind??
Dai Robb
Dai Robb

Pipe Band I belong to

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next