Piping Connections
PRETTY IN PINK

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Piping Connections
PRETTY IN PINK
Piping Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» PINK AGAIN!!
Medley tune selection EmptyTue 12 Jan - 17:37:19 by Gordy88

» 2010 Happ New Year All!!!!
Medley tune selection EmptyThu 7 Jan - 0:05:24 by Chiddy

» Please Read!!
Medley tune selection EmptySun 9 Aug - 14:05:38 by True_Blue_Piper

» draw for cowal
Medley tune selection EmptySun 9 Aug - 13:46:20 by shortstuff

» Two days early. lol
Medley tune selection EmptySun 9 Aug - 13:08:03 by Dai Robb

» MG drone reeds
Medley tune selection EmptySun 9 Aug - 2:02:22 by True_Blue_Piper

» Bag worth a try!!
Medley tune selection EmptySat 8 Aug - 18:16:26 by Werepiper

» Countdown Counter
Medley tune selection EmptyWed 29 Jul - 14:50:42 by Heilan Mary

» RSPBA exams
Medley tune selection EmptyTue 28 Jul - 16:55:42 by Gordy88

» Wallace Bagpipes, Piping on the Clyde III
Medley tune selection EmptyMon 27 Jul - 10:13:32 by Redneck

Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Keywords

Medley tune selection

5 posters

Go down

Medley tune selection Empty Medley tune selection

Post by Gordy88 Wed 3 Jun - 10:28:44

Following on from another thread, (which seems to be getting a bit bloody!)

A member has posted that they would put a band first if they play a more pleasing medley (To their ear)

Another has disagreed

What is the consensus on here?

Without getting too deeply into the competance of judges, what is a tie-breaker?

IMO, the default position should always be what is Musical, what you prefer listening too, that sort of thing,

Assuming that is, the technical excellence, or lack of it is similar.

According to the rules,a judge cannot condemn a band for the setting of the tune they play, Not on paper anyway,

But nowadays, the sheets are so generic and vague, they don't have to, they make broad comments and place regardless.

If two bands are close, how do you differentiate? What about differing playing style? how do you seperate that?

For example, take two bands, both playing very tightly, good sound, drones on, good start and finish, but one of them plays open and round, and the other is very dot and cut, how do you seperate them?

I don't see any other way than by your on personal preference, and that may mean what you percieve as being the most musical,

Other people have a different taste, so they will see it from a different perspective

Take FMM a few years ago at the worlds, Fantastic playing, especially in MSR , but played a medley that year that didnt come across well, but there was nothing wrong with the playing, but at the worlds RP changed to the Fiddlers rally medley, which would have been the number 2, and went against his principals to do so, but thats what it took to win.

And win they did.

In the end, being the best band is not enough, nor is pleasing the spectators, its about pleasing the judges, And that is where the trouble lies, as they have differing views, so either we get defined standardisation, or we carry on as we do now, getting irregular results.

cheers
Gordy88
Gordy88

Registration date : 2007-10-18
Number of posts : 1142

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Geoghegan Memorial

http://www.professionalpiperhire.com

Back to top Go down

Medley tune selection Empty Re: Medley tune selection

Post by Piping Connections Wed 3 Jun - 11:42:43

I would take irregular results any day - its the variety thats exciting - i have no set preferences on styles as long as i enjoy whats beeing played - and no ime not a judge lol but i am a buyer of Music Books and CD,s,(something that has not been fully tapped into yet) if i dont like a certain band,s MSR or Medley i dont usually hang around too long.

I have a friend who year on year took the baton at the local brass band and i was amazed thet they have to play the same piece as the rest of the bands in comp - now thats boring - they do have the opertunity t play a concert piece of their choosing but they have to qualify first by playing the set piece !!!
Piping Connections
Piping Connections

Registration date : 2007-10-13
Number of posts : 1404

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: band !!! band !!!!!!!!! yer havin a laff

http://www.pipingconnections.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wee_fee-Fee Wed 3 Jun - 11:44:57

If the piping and drumming was of a very high technical standard and was being played well and it is hard to differentiate between two bands then yes I believe tune choice will have a big impact. Constructing a new medley for Grade one competition is possibly one of the most challenging tasks that bands face. You need to have a medley that possesses a certain something that manages to catch the imagination of the judge, crowd and bandsmen alike. I think it is important to have a memorable medley with some recognisable material to give the listener some reference points. Include some classic tunes that most people know albeit they can be arranged in a way suitable for modern competition and make sure the listener can make sense of what's happening. One other key consideration is that the material must be chosen to exploit the particular strengths of the band. Yes a judge cannot condemn a band for the setting of the tune they play and to an extent I agree. Bands have their own unique style of play and should be able to put this across in the tunes they play. However, in lower graded bands I think if the bands are to stick with MAP tunes the RSPBA should issue them with set tunes. It is only going to benefit the guys in the future as what we are seeing just now is bands playing simplified versions of the tunes, taking out the odd grace note or doubling you can’t get in, etc. This is also basic stuff and what the bands should strive to achieve if they want to move on to more technically challenging tunes. On a personal note I know when I judge if I have to kids who are both technical and play exceptionally well I will go on what I find the most pleasant to watch and listen to. But at the end of the day you need to remember the three p’s in a pipe band. These are performance, profile and politics. So by all means you could have an outstanding performance but there could be a lot more needed to actually win the contest.
wee_fee-Fee
wee_fee-Fee

Registration date : 2007-10-15
Number of posts : 630

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Boghall & Bathgate Pipe Band

http://www.boghallandbathgate.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy88 Wed 3 Jun - 12:13:40

3 P's?

Never heard that before,

Very well put indeed,

Sadly, I see politics as the biggest one at present

cheers
Gordy88
Gordy88

Registration date : 2007-10-18
Number of posts : 1142

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Geoghegan Memorial

http://www.professionalpiperhire.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Redneck Wed 3 Jun - 12:46:16

wee_fee-Fee wrote:If the piping and drumming was of a very high technical standard and was being played well and it is hard to differentiate between two bands then yes I believe tune choice will have a big impact. Constructing a new medley for Grade one competition is possibly one of the most challenging tasks that bands face. You need to have a medley that possesses a certain something that manages to catch the imagination of the judge, crowd and bandsmen alike. I think it is important to have a memorable medley with some recognisable material to give the listener some reference points. Include some classic tunes that most people know albeit they can be arranged in a way suitable for modern competition and make sure the listener can make sense of what's happening.

Fiona spot on love, would go along with your line of thought, I read this thread earlier and was pondering just what you'd written.

Thanks, saves me a lotta one fingered typing...xxx.

This has given me an idea fer another thread. big grin
Redneck
Redneck

Number of posts : 2051

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Drumlough pipe band N.Ireland 3A

http://Drumlough Pipe Band 3A ( fer now ) N.Ireland

Back to top Go down

Post by Dai Robb Wed 3 Jun - 12:54:46

Having been away from the core of the competitions for a few years(Okay okay I know) I would certainly agree that recognisable tunes, that(as Fiona Says) catch the imagination of not just the Judges but the crowds,and I think very importantly the bandsmen. if you are asked to play a tune that a) you dont like, b) doesnt get you excited, then you will find it hard to get others excited surely.Nothing worse than thinking Oh S*** here we go again, and if more than one are of the opinion that will manifest itself through the band.
The old saying of beauty being in the eyes of the beholder is synonymous also with all sorts of competition, be it Brass Bands, Pipe bands or even sport what delights and excites one, will not another.
The bottom line though surely is dont knock it till you have done it.
Dai Robb
Dai Robb

Number of posts : 1995

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Enter Band Name Here!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down