Piping Connections
PRETTY IN PINK

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Piping Connections
PRETTY IN PINK
Piping Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» PINK AGAIN!!
All Irelands EmptyTue 12 Jan - 17:37:19 by Gordy88

» 2010 Happ New Year All!!!!
All Irelands EmptyThu 7 Jan - 0:05:24 by Chiddy

» Please Read!!
All Irelands EmptySun 9 Aug - 14:05:38 by True_Blue_Piper

» draw for cowal
All Irelands EmptySun 9 Aug - 13:46:20 by shortstuff

» Two days early. lol
All Irelands EmptySun 9 Aug - 13:08:03 by Dai Robb

» MG drone reeds
All Irelands EmptySun 9 Aug - 2:02:22 by True_Blue_Piper

» Bag worth a try!!
All Irelands EmptySat 8 Aug - 18:16:26 by Werepiper

» Countdown Counter
All Irelands EmptyWed 29 Jul - 14:50:42 by Heilan Mary

» RSPBA exams
All Irelands EmptyTue 28 Jul - 16:55:42 by Gordy88

» Wallace Bagpipes, Piping on the Clyde III
All Irelands EmptyMon 27 Jul - 10:13:32 by Redneck

Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Keywords

All Irelands

2 posters

Go down

All Irelands Empty All Irelands

Post by Gordy88 Sun 6 Jul - 13:15:17

The 63rd All Ireland contest was held in Ennis, County Clare yesterday, (Sat)

Firstly, lets get the moan out of the way, the location was well out of the way, and as such, was poorly attended by Northern bands, and the venue was a complete dump, 2 cubicles and 2 urinals was the height of the toilet facilities, No beer tent, one manky burger van, and an ice cream van,

That was it, frankly a shithole, and if the Northern Ireland branch ever decide to go back to such a dump the should be castrated, assuming that is, that they have any balls in the first place.

However,

There were a lot of missing bands, no NI bands in 4b at all, but most of the regular prize winner were about, with the exception of Cottown in 3a.

Heard Drumlough in 3a, both tuning up and in the ring, they were going rightly, but its a tight grade, and is only going to get tighter,

They had 8 pipers, and a good drum corps, but with the greatest of respect, that few pipers leaves no hiding places, and weaker players can be easily exposed.

I know Iain says he retiring at seasons end, but he needs to stay there, and find 3 or 4 pipers from somewhere, maybe cut 1 and get a winters work out of the rest.

If that could be done, IMO Drumlough would pretty much dominate the grade.

Grade 2 was won by Killeen, with Ravara second, Good result for both bands in fact, as Killeen have been going well, and been consistantly second to Ravara, ravara will be disappointed, but buoyed by the fact that if they continue to dominate the grade, they are likely to go back into grade 1, so that result might actually suit them in some ways.

Grade 1 was SLOT, FMM, Ballycoan, Cullybackey

It was a MSR and Medley competition, we were deservedly 4th in the MSR, as despite having good sound, phrasing, tempos, attack and finish, we had about 10 mistakes, including someone going into the reel 2 beats early, 2 pipers had major wobbles and clatters of mistakes, just a bad day out.

We had a good medley, in fact a very good medley which was bourne out by us coming second to FMM in piping, beating SLOT in piping, so we were very well pleased indeed.

Slot won the med on ensemble and ended up winning both sets and the competition as a whole, the cynical amongst us could say that was a certainty, especially in the deep Irish south, but believe me, they are a hell of a good band, and a good bunch of people too,

From what I was told,(I didnt hear them) it was a fair and accurate result.

So 2 weeks off for the Ulster bands, then we have the Europeans in Lisburn, which is being held a mile and a half from my house. cheers

Cheers
Gordy88
Gordy88

Registration date : 2007-10-18
Number of posts : 1142

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Geoghegan Memorial

http://www.professionalpiperhire.com

Back to top Go down

All Irelands Empty Re: All Irelands

Post by Redneck Sun 6 Jul - 13:33:20

Cheers Gordy, good summary m8. Got to agree wi the comments reference the location.....WTF a run down cattle market fer the biggest contest of the year in Ireland?......arsewipes the lotta 'em.

Thank god that rugby club was open...... Pint .

Good points regarding our band Gordy m8, things do need sorted m8. There again, ain't that what getting promoted is all about?, even though the band hasn't yet fully clicked IMO, they have always been in the prize list or just outside on EP.
Maybe it's just frustration at the band not taking into the circle what's being achieved in the band hall ( lol, every band can say that am sure ) or the newer additions to the piping corps need a bit more confidence am not too sure, but things will have to change if Drumlough wish to push to the next level. From your remarks I assume your of the same opinion as me that they can and the nucleus of a good band is there.
Getting players in to improve the overall standard is tough as you well know, but we'll see, if there are arses on the seat come close season ( early on ) then I do think we can make a bigger push for the coveted 1st place spot on a more regular basis m8.
Thanks for you honest ( as ever ) remarks towards the band. Pint

Last edited by Redneck on Sun 6 Jul - 16:36:06; edited 1 time in total
Redneck
Redneck

Registration date : 2007-10-13
Number of posts : 2051

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Drumlough pipe band N.Ireland 3A

http://Drumlough Pipe Band 3A ( fer now ) N.Ireland

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy88 Sun 6 Jul - 14:21:35

The nucleus is definitly there, some fine tuning and you could have a very competive band,

Cheers mate
Gordy88
Gordy88

Registration date : 2007-10-18
Number of posts : 1142

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Geoghegan Memorial

http://www.professionalpiperhire.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Redneck Sun 6 Jul - 17:06:27

A few pic's from yesterday.
All Irelands All_ir10 Bus homeward bound......cup was filled twice... big grin
All Irelands Dsc00014 Mairead 'n Jackie from Annsbourgh PB ( Jackie ex RAMS )All Irelands Cabbag10 StevieB GOING ( not comin' home laughing ) note our secretive alcohol drinking vessels.... Twisted Evil
Redneck
Redneck

Registration date : 2007-10-13
Number of posts : 2051

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Drumlough pipe band N.Ireland 3A

http://Drumlough Pipe Band 3A ( fer now ) N.Ireland

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down