Piping Connections
PRETTY IN PINK

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Piping Connections
PRETTY IN PINK
Piping Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» PINK AGAIN!!
78th versus Strathclyde - Page 2 EmptyTue 12 Jan - 17:37:19 by Gordy88

» 2010 Happ New Year All!!!!
78th versus Strathclyde - Page 2 EmptyThu 7 Jan - 0:05:24 by Chiddy

» Please Read!!
78th versus Strathclyde - Page 2 EmptySun 9 Aug - 14:05:38 by True_Blue_Piper

» draw for cowal
78th versus Strathclyde - Page 2 EmptySun 9 Aug - 13:46:20 by shortstuff

» Two days early. lol
78th versus Strathclyde - Page 2 EmptySun 9 Aug - 13:08:03 by Dai Robb

» MG drone reeds
78th versus Strathclyde - Page 2 EmptySun 9 Aug - 2:02:22 by True_Blue_Piper

» Bag worth a try!!
78th versus Strathclyde - Page 2 EmptySat 8 Aug - 18:16:26 by Werepiper

» Countdown Counter
78th versus Strathclyde - Page 2 EmptyWed 29 Jul - 14:50:42 by Heilan Mary

» RSPBA exams
78th versus Strathclyde - Page 2 EmptyTue 28 Jul - 16:55:42 by Gordy88

» Wallace Bagpipes, Piping on the Clyde III
78th versus Strathclyde - Page 2 EmptyMon 27 Jul - 10:13:32 by Redneck

Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Keywords

78th versus Strathclyde

+7
gordyq
Heilan Mary
True_Blue_Piper
Dai Robb
Robbie.Crow
KatieMc
Piping Connections
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

78th versus Strathclyde - Page 2 Empty Re: 78th versus Strathclyde

Post by Gordy88 Tue 24 Jun - 11:24:02

Are you talking band or pipe corps?

78th are a good band, but thinking back to the mid to late 80's, the SP pipe corps was pretty devastating, although certainly from the results the drum corps was not so dominant.

Scoring was different then too, with points making prizes, different format nowadays.

What the SPPB of the 80's should have is the knowledge that they have helped drive the quality of bands up as a whole, (as FM have latterly done), and are to some extent responible for the quality we hear at majors today

cheers
Gordy88
Gordy88

Registration date : 2007-10-18
Number of posts : 1142

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Geoghegan Memorial

http://www.professionalpiperhire.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue 24 Jun - 16:44:30

Gordy88 wrote:Are you talking band or pipe corps?

78th are a good band, but thinking back to the mid to late 80's, the SP pipe corps was pretty devastating, although certainly from the results the drum corps was not so dominant.

Scoring was different then too, with points making prizes, different format nowadays.

What the SPPB of the 80's should have is the knowledge that they have helped drive the quality of bands up as a whole, (as FM have latterly done), and are to some extent responible for the quality we hear at majors today

cheers

Yeah no argument there Gordy, but i do feel the 78ths pushed it a bit further, I remeber beeing in the Corn Exchange in Leith about 84/85 for the 1st ever pre worlds concert before the weegies stole it and it was packed to the rafters. the whole place was buzzing and after the concert all you heard were folks asking where they get the music for clumsy lover and all the rest of the kitchen stuff it gave a lot of people a renewed energy to get the head down n practice more. Like all other music it needs to be taken to the extreme and reeled back in to get somewhere in the middle thats enjoyable to the majority. I honestly feel they gave it the kick up the arse it needed at the time even with bands like dysart etc

Admin

Registration date : 2007-10-12
Number of posts : 133

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Prestonpans Pipe Band

http://www.pipingconnections.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Redneck Tue 24 Jun - 22:50:50

Spot on m8. Pint

@Gordy, I never once disputed the Glasgow Police,( not getting at you or anyone here ), nor their influence, av always been 'n still am a close follower of the police, av built up a good friendship wi some a the guys in the band, past 'n present, but.....my point is the 78th's pipe corp AND the band overall in the year they won..on that day 78th were better than the police. IMO

These are only my views, I try to call it as I see / hear it, not as I want it...credit should be given when it's due.
Redneck
Redneck

Registration date : 2007-10-13
Number of posts : 2051

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Drumlough pipe band N.Ireland 3A

http://Drumlough Pipe Band 3A ( fer now ) N.Ireland

Back to top Go down

Post by Redneck Tue 24 Jun - 22:59:35

Admin wrote: Yeah no argument there Gordy, but i do feel the 78ths pushed it a bit further, I remeber beeing in the Corn Exchange in Leith about 84/85 for the 1st ever pre worlds concert before the weegies stole it and it was packed to the rafters. the whole place was buzzing and after the concert all you heard were folks asking where they get the music for clumsy lover and all the rest of the kitchen stuff it gave a lot of people a renewed energy to get the head down n practice more. Like all other music it needs to be taken to the extreme and reeled back in to get somewhere in the middle thats enjoyable to the majority. I honestly feel they gave it the kick up the arse it needed at the time even with bands like dysart etc

Good summary, also, the concert was filled wi the great tunes ie:_ 6/8 selections...MSR's, ect, ect, ect.
The opening first half of the concert was indeed very traditional, second half all hell broke loose..........200mph piping solo's and the winning medley for that year.........one of the best concerts av ever been at, superb sound ( ABW Sinclairs big grin ), great piping and a very entertaining performance, music for all tastes, even you Stormy m8....... big grin hide ignore wasntme Braveheart
Redneck
Redneck

Registration date : 2007-10-13
Number of posts : 2051

Pipe Band I belong to
Band Name: Drumlough pipe band N.Ireland 3A

http://Drumlough Pipe Band 3A ( fer now ) N.Ireland

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down